Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
guppygourami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 686
What do i do?!

I woke up this morning to my dad telling me to get rid of my aquarium if I wanted a cat ( xD ) AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED AS LAST TIME.

What I mean by this, is that last summer (I think) we were planning to get rid of it (because we really can never find time to take care of them) and we started cleaning it out WHEN WE FOUND TEN MOLLY FRY. omg

They unfortunately did not last but anyways, this morning (as I said before) I woke up to my dad telling me to clean it and everything and I started to clean out the filter WHEN I FOUND EGGS AND HATCHED FRY ON MY GLASS. WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?!??!?

In my tank I have three neon tetras, two juvenile angelfish and five danios. I'm almost 100% sure they're danio fry but I have noooo idea as to how I should take care of them.

EDIT: I fed them Hikari First Bites about an hour ago, and they ones we could save before the angelfish ate then are in the breeder net cube.

I CAN USE ANY HELP I CAN GET )


Namirah🐠Canadian, Eh?🐠
__________________

__________________
guppygourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,120
You may not like my answer but keep in mind that I am a "big picture" guy with experience with this situation.
To start with, keeping fish does require time and if you don't have the time to dedicate to caring for your fish, then IMO, the right thing is to not keep them. Just as you wouldn't ( actually shouldn't) neglect your pet cat or dog, you shouldn't neglect your fish. Not having the time to care properly for the tank leads quickly to neglect. Finding eggs or fry in the tank should not really alter your decision. Raising fry of Danios or Neons is actually more work than the molly fry should have been and with your lack of success with those fry, you will probably not have long term success with these fry either. So with that said, I would save yourself the time and effort and let the fry be eaten by the other fish, which is natural and a good food source for them, and then go about the dismantling of the tank. Whoever gets your fish will be getting nourished fish and can continue from there.

If this were my situation, that is what I would do. Hope it helps.
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
I'm with Andy on this. Cats are social creatures and I as a person who has both cats and fish I really think the cat requires more interaction than a fish tank. If you can't find the time to take care of fish how will you find time to have a cat. They need human interaction and stimulation every single day. Unless you want a cat that is not well socialized and has issues you must work with it daily. Cats aren't just ornaments. My cats all know their names and come when called. With fish you don't have to teach them what is expected. With a cat you do. What I mean by that is keeping the cat off the counters and providing appropriate scratching posts etc.
I understand why your father is limiting the amount of pets you can have and that's good but it just sounds like from your own words that you don't have the time to care for a pet right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 13,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I'm with Andy on this. Cats are social creatures and I as a person who has both cats and fish I really think the cat requires more interaction than a fish tank. If you can't find the time to take care of fish how will you find time to have a cat. They need human interaction and stimulation every single day. Unless you want a cat that is not well socialized and has issues you must work with it daily. Cats aren't just ornaments. My cats all know their names and come when called. With fish you don't have to teach them what is expected. With a cat you do. What I mean by that is keeping the cat off the counters and providing appropriate scratching posts etc.
I understand why your father is limiting the amount of pets you can have and that's good but it just sounds like from your own words that you don't have the time to care for a pet right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the most part agree to this and Seaweed and Andy.

Volunteer at an animal shelter for awhile. Offer to play with or walk a friends dog or play with their cat. In otherwords a cat is a long term pet and a serious time commitment and the cat poos are much bigger than fish poop.

"borrow" a friends pets by hanging out, or love a shelter animal with the volunteering. Or consider fostering a cat as a short term situation and practice.

My 9 yo daughter got a cat (11 years ago) and had to move out and take her cat with her just recently, and her cat is now 11, and our other cat lived for 16 years. Very long term pets. Think this through. Don't just discard/rehome the cat like a fish. Big commitment. Fostering is short term and needed. Told my daughter when she got the cat it would have to go with her when she went to college and/or moved out!!!

Not meaning to be harsh, but realistic.
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,995
Does sound tricky. I agree that caring for pets is really best as a routine (not on/off as time permits). That said I do remember getting regularly nagged by Mom to clean out the bird cage each week.

One thought would be if you can reduce the fish count and simplify your tank. This may bring the work load back to a routine you can work to.

I've looked at this myself and for me, the fish count would halve to something simple (no big fish eating little fish or aggressive fish) and the high tech planted setup would be downgraded.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
guppygourami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 686
What do i do?!

Thanks everyone. I have been talking about it with my family, and we really want to rehome our fish because none of us have the time for water changes or anything :/ The problem is, we don't know HOW to rehome them or the tank. We unfortunately don't know anyone who wants the tank or fish but are trying to find someone.


Also, thanks for the advice on the cat, and I have been warned about what responsibilty I've have over him/her. In the past we've had great experience with pets but then I became devoted to school and my sister graduated so we were kind of like "okay" when someone asked us to take their tank. Our mom had a TON of experience with fish, but she didn't have time either and we realized what a great responsibility fish were.

To sum everything up, we want to rehome our fish and tank to people who will be able to take care of them better. I know someone will probably speak against this, saying that I'm young and unexperienced and I know that, but my sister and I are still thinking of a cat. Please respect our decision, and know that our dad has raised over thirty cats during his life time so he'll help us xD

Thanks again, and I reaaaaally don't mean to sound rude. At all. All of you helped me a lot, and I'm thankful for that.

Namirah


Namirah🐠Canadian, Eh?🐠
__________________
guppygourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Firstly kudos to you for realizing that you aren't in a position to take care of the fish and want to rehome before they become neglected.

You are in Canada? So if you have any independently owned local fish shops nearby ask them if they would take your fish. Maybe ask for credit towards cat food if they also carry that or tell them you want to donate them. Our big chain stores here won't take fish from individuals so that's why I recommend independents. If that doesn't work try craigslist if there is a listing for your city or nearby. Also there is something called kijiji. Not sure if it covers Canada. Lastly call local schools and librarys and ask if you could just donate the entire setup to a classroom etc. Many teachers at elementary schools and biology teachers have class tanks.

If you ever need cat advice feel free to pm me as I do cat rescue and have a house full of disabled and otherwise unadoptable kitties.
It's easier to remember to care for a cat because they don't let you not care for them and their litter box will stink if you don't clean it. Please consider adoption and please spay and neuter. This has been a public service announcement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
One more thing, sorry if I came off as abrasive in my very first response. I'm extremely blunt and don't sugar coat especially when it comes to the care of amimals. I blame my German/Eastern European heritage. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
guppygourami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
One more thing, sorry if I came off as abrasive in my very first response. I'm extremely blunt and don't sugar coat especially when it comes to the care of amimals. I blame my German/Eastern European heritage. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh no, I'm happy you didn't sugar coat it. People always do that to us kids but totally underestimate us >_<. Kijiji is something my parents are familiar with, so we're thinking about that but my school office has a small (not even a ten gallon) tank holding two danios and a HUGE gourami. I think I'm going to ask someone at school, but my parents do want to ask for money, since we invested a lot into these fish.

Oh and on the cat, our local pet store found three (6-8 wks old) cats in someone's backyard. Would that be rescuing/adopting? The last one just went yesterday which was really sad for me but we are looking for more!

Also, how much should I ask for a 23 gallon long tank with a filter, heater, light and stand? Should I sell them separately or together? Also, what to do with the fish??

Update: I just found about a hundred eggs on a couple of leaves, just gonna leave them for the angels but here's a picture of one of the leaves: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443787895.724172.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	278736

ahh I have tripophobia, and just glancing at the eggs makes me itch >_<


<g.m.t.a>
__________________
guppygourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
I have worked as a nanny off and on since I was 16 so I don't sugar coat for kids because I know that they understand more than what they are given credit for. And yes taking in a cat that was found or someone dumped etc is indeed rescue.

As for a price. Can you remind us what kind of filter you have as that needs to be taken into consideration for price and also what fish do you have again? If your parents want to get some money back out of their investment I would start by asking local shop if they would take your fish either for store credit or a small amount of cash. Store credit is more likely so try shops that also sell items for cats. One thing to keep in mind is that you just never get back the amount you put into buying the equipment if you bought it new. In the US usually tanks go for $1 to $0.50 per gallon used and then a bit extra for the stand depending on how nice it is. Obviously with filter and lid you add a little extra but how much depends in filter brand and what kind of light you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
guppygourami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I have worked as a nanny off and on since I was 16 so I don't sugar coat for kids because I know that they understand more than what they are given credit for. And yes taking in a cat that was found or someone dumped etc is indeed rescue.

As for a price. Can you remind us what kind of filter you have as that needs to be taken into consideration for price and also what fish do you have again? If your parents want to get some money back out of their investment I would start by asking local shop if they would take your fish either for store credit or a small amount of cash. Store credit is more likely so try shops that also sell items for cats. One thing to keep in mind is that you just never get back the amount you put into buying the equipment if you bought it new. In the US usually tanks go for $1 to $0.50 per gallon used and then a bit extra for the stand depending on how nice it is. Obviously with filter and lid you add a little extra but how much depends in filter brand and what kind of light you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Okay, so I have two angelfish, two neon tetras and five zebra danios. My filter is an Aquaclear 50 but I don't know about the light, since it was given to us.


<g.m.t.a>
__________________
guppygourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
So angel fish are usually worth more than the neons or the danios. You might get a few dollars total for the neons and danios. You have a good filter and if it hasn't been used that long I'd knock like $10 usd off the purchase price. I don't remember the conversion for Canadian money at this time sorry. Do you know what kind of bulbs the ligh r fixture takes? T5, T5 HO, T8, T10, T12 or led?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
guppygourami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
So angel fish are usually worth more than the neons or the danios. You might get a few dollars total for the neons and danios. You have a good filter and if it hasn't been used that long I'd knock like $10 usd off the purchase price. I don't remember the conversion for Canadian money at this time sorry. Do you know what kind of bulbs the ligh r fixture takes? T5, T5 HO, T8, T10, T12 or led?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The filter's about a year old, and I'll try to ask my dad about the bulb.

P.S. The exchange rate is 1 CAD is equal to 1.32 USD, or 70 cents in the US is equivalent to a Canadian dollar, if I remember correctly.


<g.m.t.a>
__________________
guppygourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Ok. Have you tried to just sell the fish to a shop and then list all the equip on kijiji?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
guppygourami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Ok. Have you tried to just sell the fish to a shop and then list all the equip on kijiji?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

No, I was at school all day and just have time now, but I think I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Also, I need help ASAP. My two angelfish are pushing against each other with their like mouths (??) and I think they're fighting and I don't know what to do!!


<g.m.t.a>
__________________
guppygourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Sell them tomorrow! If you can separate them somehow then do so but other yeah you need to get them other homes quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×