What do you breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do you breed and why?
There are so many people giving advice on how to breed but not many on what you have. I want to see what everyone breeds? If its just for fun? You have buyers?
I will start.
I got in the hobby years ago. I love Wild looking Angelfish So I got a wild group. Wgen they started pairing up the guy at the fish store said he would buy them if I could get them to 1in body size. I soon found I have a nak for this. And started breeding True Silver Angels; Now the list has grown a bit. I have a true albino silver in my blood line. I also breed Bristalnose plecos. (albino & black), Geophagus Brasiliensis, Guianacara Geayi, Nicaragunsis Hypsophry, and Red head Tapajos. I will post pictures on my profile.

Attachments

• Silver Angelfish.jpg
    Silver Angelfish.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 246
Pictures.

Attachments

• Albono bristalnose pleco's.jpg
    Albono bristalnose pleco's.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 220
  • brasiliensis.jpg
    brasiliensis.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Bandit-Cichlid.jpg
    Bandit-Cichlid.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Nicaraguensis.jpg
    Nicaraguensis.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 207
I mainly breed African cichlids for fun sometimes a have buyers I thought it would be tough but turned out I had a nak for breeding them

Nothing at the moment. But i picked up a group of festae to growout and get a pair from.so hopefully in the future they will breed

I am currently breeding calico plecos, sterbai cories, chili endlers, long fin albino plecos, pineapple swordtails, Phallichthys fairweatheri (aka picotee livebearers), apistogramma borellii, and I just started try furcata rainbowfish. I belong to my local fish club and a couple of the members have stores. Most of my spawns go yo them. Occasionally I sell on aquabid or to local members of my Facebook group. I don't do it for the money. I really enjoy the challenge and seeing the results.

I use to breed live bearer but not no more. Since I want to try something harder. I'm breeding Oscar , Angel fish , Betta , and Ablino Cory

Nice Pictures Bob...
As for Africans There are hundreds of African cichlids. Witch ones do you have? Pictures say 1000 words

I have bred Yellow labs, Red Zebras, Cobalt Blue Zebras, Mbipia cf. Lutea, and i'm currently working on breeding Red Empress and Lemon Jakes.

I breed guppies, and swordtails currently.
I have a trio of apistogramma trifasciata that I'm growing out for breeding along with 2 types of African cichlids (mbuna), Angels, African dwarf frogs, 3 different type of bristlenose, and corydora metae's.

I used to breed bristlenose, peppered corys, bettas, and mollies. I'd like to get back into bettas, both wild and domestic, but they require more room than I have currently and it takes a long time to find a good spawning pair.

ty grand pa i mostly breed angels and plecos. i got into breeding other fish in my younger days but i settled on these. for my retirement hobbie.

Retirement Sucks! I got my self a part time job to keep sane. My oldest sons Wife. Loves Angels and So I am helping her learn how to tank rease breed. I got her a pair of Koi and she is getting there. She dosn't know it yet but I plan on giving her My Silvers. When she is ready.
My Geophagus brasiliensis & tapajo are so peaceful and beautiful. That is where I am moving more tank space too. Their rairety and beauty make them very cool.

Sorry typo ... I have guppies they are easy to breed cuz they r live bearers ad I'm still learning

What I breed and what I've bred....

I just finished a 3 year program of breeding Bettas as that was all I had room for at the time. Pics of some of my fish can be seen in my albums in my profile. I am currently raising some Angelfish again to breed as well as I have 1 pair of Silvers now spawning but with 0 success as yet for fry. ( This is only their 4th spawn so I'm not worried ;) ) Pics of my Angels and pair can also be seen in my album.

As for what I have bred besides the above mentioned fish:
I will leave out the live bearers as I've done some of every type in some color pattern at some point in time.
For my Mentor's store ( from 1964-1974):
Angels, Oscars, Firemouths, jewels, Convicts, Severums, Jack Dempsey, Keyhole, Rams ( when they were called Apistogramma ramerizi lol), Rainbow cichlids, Blue and Green Acaras, Texas cichlids, Zebra Danio, Pearl Danio, Giant Danio, Cherry barbs, Gold barbs, Tiger Barbs, Rosey barbs, Checker barbs, Comet goldfish, Oranda type goldfish, Red Minor Tetras, lemon Tetras, Neon tetras, White cloud Minnows, Black Tetras, Head and Tail lite tetras, Glo-lite Tetras, Silver Tip Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras, Pristella Tetras, Bettas, Paradise fish, Dwarf, Blue, Gold, Pearl and Giant Gourami (That I can remember.)
In my personal hatcheries, (1974-1988):
Fish added to the list above include:
Gold Severums, Kribenses, Brichardi, Black Phantom Tetras, Discus, Green and Albino Aneus catfish, Black Ruby Barbs, Green Tiger barbs, Albino tiger barbs ( that I can remember.)

As for customers, Some of them are still in the biz and looking forward to my Angels when I have them to sell. ;)

Back
Top Bottom