Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you do with deformed fry?

So I am currently breeding guppies and mollies. I am wondering what you breeders do with deformed fry and or runts? I've had a couple from each female. I know that this happens and not ALL fry will be healthy. I am breeding to sell so I can't just keep them and sell them as nobody wants a deformed or runt of a fish..
Is there a certain size you don't let them get past and euthanize them or do you give them to a friend for feeder fish or?? If you do euthanize them, how do you go about it?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It's best to euthanize deformed fry. By removing the weak you are ultimately making the gene pool stronger. Too many fish in the aquarium trade have become weak due to poor breeding practices.
You can make a bowl of slushy ice and salt in the freezer and drop them in. It's painless and instant. IMO it's best to do as soon as you see an issue.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Check out using clove oil.

Found this
Aquarium Fish Euthanasia

I have only had a few and let them be in the tank where they could be eaten naturally, but that probably wasn't a good idea because I found one which was female 2 inches big! There are so many plants in there it is like the deep forest, she was a very good hider! If she had babies they weren't bent. She went to a home where the keeper was keeping her in a tank with out any males.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Ah yes. Clove oil works well. I've used it on larger fish (goldfish). Ice water works just as effectively with smaller fish if you don't have any.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the replies! I asked this question because last night I euthanized a small molly fry by putting it in a cup with tank water and putting it into the freezer. Basically the same method as the ice bath. I just wasn't sure if that was the best way.
I know I let him grow a bit too long but he was in my 10g fry tank being passed up by all the other fry he was months older than. I started to notice him being stressed because he could not swim and keep up with the rest and eating he just seemed to try to wiggle his way to some food.
Euthanizing a fish was harder than though, as this was from our first ever fry drop. Mostly on my fiance as she did not like the idea but I told her it was for the best and that he could have gotten a disease that could have taken out more of our fry.

"Euthanasia is an unpleasant but sometimes necessary aspect of all animal healthcare" "Euthanasia is used for two main purposes: to relieve the suffering of severely ill fish and to humanely destroy severely injured or deformed fish, particularly fry." This makes me feel lots better.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing with putting it in the freezer is that it happens slowly.

Ideally you would let the water become ice cold and then place the fish in

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
The only thing with putting it in the freezer is that it happens slowly.

Ideally you would let the water become ice cold and then place the fish in
Well I am confused. Wouldn't putting them straight into Ice cold water shock them terribly? As I read, it says you want tank water to quickly become ice cold?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

That's the idea of it. The water is so freezing that it shocks the body causing instant death. I don't know if its true or not but its believed that placing a fish in the freezer causes ice crystals to form in the blood and flesh causing a slow death. Whether they form before or after death is the question.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
That's the idea of it. The water is so freezing that it shocks the body causing instant death. I don't know if its true or not but its believed that placing a fish in the freezer causes ice crystals to form in the blood and flesh causing a slow death. Whether they form before or after death is the question.
Ok, It makes sense now, just read it a little different. So next time, I will freeze the water to a nice slushy mix and place the fish in.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds horrible, I brought 10 young neon tetra but didn't notice til I got home that there body/tale is bent and deformed! 1 died 2 days ago and anther today! Could I let them just live on in my tank or should I give them a death sentence? Sounds harsh if they're swimming around!

Tags
fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com