What do you do with deformed fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bman024

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am currently breeding guppies and mollies. I am wondering what you breeders do with deformed fry and or runts? I've had a couple from each female. I know that this happens and not ALL fry will be healthy. I am breeding to sell so I can't just keep them and sell them as nobody wants a deformed or runt of a fish..:confused::confused:
Is there a certain size you don't let them get past and euthanize them or do you give them to a friend for feeder fish or?? If you do euthanize them, how do you go about it?

:thanks:

It's best to euthanize deformed fry. By removing the weak you are ultimately making the gene pool stronger. Too many fish in the aquarium trade have become weak due to poor breeding practices.
You can make a bowl of slushy ice and salt in the freezer and drop them in. It's painless and instant. IMO it's best to do as soon as you see an issue.

Check out using clove oil.

Found this
Aquarium Fish Euthanasia

I have only had a few and let them be in the tank where they could be eaten naturally, but that probably wasn't a good idea because I found one which was female 2 inches big! There are so many plants in there it is like the deep forest, she was a very good hider! If she had babies they weren't bent. She went to a home where the keeper was keeping her in a tank with out any males. :)

Thanks for the replies! I asked this question because last night I euthanized a small molly fry by putting it in a cup with tank water and putting it into the freezer. Basically the same method as the ice bath. I just wasn't sure if that was the best way.
I know I let him grow a bit too long but he was in my 10g fry tank being passed up by all the other fry he was months older than. I started to notice him being stressed because he could not swim and keep up with the rest and eating he just seemed to try to wiggle his way to some food.
Euthanizing a fish was harder than though, as this was from our first ever fry drop. Mostly on my fiance as she did not like the idea but I told her it was for the best and that he could have gotten a disease that could have taken out more of our fry.

"Euthanasia is an unpleasant but sometimes necessary aspect of all animal healthcare" "Euthanasia is used for two main purposes: to relieve the suffering of severely ill fish and to humanely destroy severely injured or deformed fish, particularly fry." This makes me feel lots better.

The only thing with putting it in the freezer is that it happens slowly.

Ideally you would let the water become ice cold and then place the fish in

The only thing with putting it in the freezer is that it happens slowly.

Ideally you would let the water become ice cold and then place the fish in

Well I am confused. Wouldn't putting them straight into Ice cold water shock them terribly? As I read, it says you want tank water to quickly become ice cold?

That's the idea of it. The water is so freezing that it shocks the body causing instant death. I don't know if its true or not but its believed that placing a fish in the freezer causes ice crystals to form in the blood and flesh causing a slow death. Whether they form before or after death is the question.

That's the idea of it. The water is so freezing that it shocks the body causing instant death. I don't know if its true or not but its believed that placing a fish in the freezer causes ice crystals to form in the blood and flesh causing a slow death. Whether they form before or after death is the question.

Ok, It makes sense now, just read it a little different. So next time, I will freeze the water to a nice slushy mix and place the fish in.

:thanks:

Sounds horrible, I brought 10 young neon tetra but didn't notice til I got home that there body/tale is bent and deformed! 1 died 2 days ago and anther today! Could I let them just live on in my tank or should I give them a death sentence? Sounds harsh if they're swimming around!

Sounds horrible, I brought 10 young neon tetra but didn't notice til I got home that there body/tale is bent and deformed! 1 died 2 days ago and anther today! Could I let them just live on in my tank or should I give them a death sentence? Sounds harsh if they're swimming around!

This is what I was going through. He was swimming but definitely deformed in his back and his tail. I kept him for a while thinking he'd be ok, but could tell he was stressed out from not being able to keep up with the other fish and eating. It came to a point where I didn't want him to get too stressed and get diseased and infect the rest of the fry. (currently about 25 in the tank)

As I intend to either keep for breeding purposes or to sell them, a "deformed fish" just won't fit either... :(

Is there an "island for misfit fish"?!?!?

If you plan on keeping a fish as just a pet and not for breeding then by all means give it a good life. But if said fish is suffering then euthanasia is needed IMO. The problem with a fish that has a deformity is when it's used for breeding. It can pass its weaknesses onto its offspring creating multiple weak fish. It's part of responsible breeding. Look at pure bred dogs for example. Some breeds have been bred to the point that they can't breathe correctly, they can have hip problems, heat conditions, eye problems and so on. It is up to the breeder to not breed animals that have these traits so to ensure the health of future generations.

I'm sticking to breeding my guppies and mollies :) maybe angels 1 day :) they're just for my tank not breeding, they're all eating fine

Back
Top Bottom