What fish and how to set up??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there this is my first thread,
I was wondering what fish to start of breeding for the first time. I am getting a 10-20 gallon tank tommorow and wanted to set it up for breeding. I have a 200lt comunity tank already to.
I am intrested in fish like danios, gouramis, mabye cichlids, tetras and others similar to that.
Any info would be appreciated,
Thank you. ?

Well, you didn't mention any of these, but mollys, platys, and guppies are probably the easiest to breed. They give birth pretty frequently, and the babies are born live, so you don't have to worry about eggs. I've had experience with platys and mollys and it's really not that much work.

I would suggest live bearers because they are the easiest to breed, sell or keep

Tom.fish said:
Hey there this is my first thread,
I was wondering what fish to start of breeding for the first time. I am getting a 10-20 gallon tank tommorow and wanted to set it up for breeding. I have a 200lt comunity tank already to.
I am intrested in fish like danios, gouramis, mabye cichlids, tetras and others similar to that.
Any info would be appreciated,
Thank you. ddc1f

I have accidentally breed Molly's and Jack Dempsey and I must say the li e bearers like mollies are much easier! They aren't good parents tho so keep that in mind you have to separate them early from parents. But you should also be aware of how expensive their could get! With the cichlids once they start having babies they don't stop! And if you live in an area like I do you will end up with hundreds of them and nothing to do with em! And live bearers don't have nearly as many babies at a time. Keep in mind you will have to buy a whole new setup for the babies!

Thanks guys for the info. The fish I am intrested in are
Any type of danios
Convict cichlids
gourami
Other easy cichlids?
But would it be best to start with something like mollies or swordtails?
And when I do get the fish do I put then straight into a breeding tank? Or do i need a fry trap or something?
Thanks ?

Tom.fish said:
Thanks guys for the info. The fish I am intrested in are
Any type of danios
Convict cichlids
gourami
Other easy cichlids?
But would it be best to start with something like mollies or swordtails?
And when I do get the fish do I put then straight into a breeding tank? Or do i need a fry trap or something?
Thanks ddc1f

Mollies and swordtails would probably be the easiest to start out with out of all the ones you just listed.

And also, a breeding tank or net would be good if you wanted to save as many as possible. I suggest one of the plastic ones (I got mine at Petco for under $10) that has the slotted bottom that separates the babies from the mom so you don't risk having her eat any. Or a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding spots would be good, but you most likely won't save as many fry that way.

Thank you, I will get one of those and I'm going to start out with sword tails but how do you tell the gender of them?
Thanks ?

For convicts they breed like their isn't a tomorrow but you will need a 29 gallon minimum, and if your intention is selling them your wasting time.

Tom.fish said:
Thank you, I will get one of those and I'm going to start out with sword tails but how do you tell the gender of them?
Thanks ddc1f

You can tell by the fin under their bellies. Females will have a fanned out fin, and males will have a pointed fin that helps impregnate the female. It's really easy to tell once you know what you're looking for. You can easily find pics online and on here.

Great I will remember that thanks. And do I just need a sponge filter and a heater?

You definitely need a heater. The water should be between 78-82ish. I have a carbon filter. I don't know much about sponge filter.

Ok thanks got the tank, 7 gallon not bad for a free tank :). Also getting a free filter to which is great and I will buy the heater. I looked in my larger tank and saw that some of my male zebra danios where chasing the female and now she is looking a bit fat. They have been chasing her for maybe a week or so. Do you think she is pregnant? Thanks again

For tetras you might need to blackout 3 sides of the tank with minimal light since the eggs are light sensitive
*danios are hardy and are egg scatterers . They are very active and need a 20 gallon minimum size tank
* Gouramis are bubble nest builders and can be aaggresive towards their female partner. Some can get big : kissing, pearl, opline. Or smaller ones : dwarf,sparkling,honey

Hey guys I needed up getting a 29 gallon breeder tank cause the filter was big enough for it and The lfs convinced me into kribs and I got a pair and I now have 6 day old fry ( i think 6) there's about 35 of them :)) thanks everyone tho for our help most appreciated :)
Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-501673540.jpg
    image-501673540.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom