Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what fry food is best?

I was told that i could use newly hatched brine shrimp but they are expensive so i was also told i could use JBL Nobil Fuid and that its just as good. the fry that will be eating this are guppies and platies.

thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatcheesePizza View Post
I was told that i could use newly hatched brine shrimp but they are expensive so i was also told i could use JBL Nobil Fuid and that its just as good. the fry that will be eating this are guppies and platies.

thanks!
personally, I use First Bites or I hardboil an egg and mix the yolk with water to make a paste and just put a tiny bit of the paste in with them. The egg actually seems to be their favorite, but I feed both to give them a variety.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
come get me tang police!

One of the best simple to culture live fry foods is microworms. I've used many and it is my favorite.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I have has success just taking flake food and crushing it up finely. They all eat and are growing.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF View Post
I have has success just taking flake food and crushing it up finely. They all eat and are growing.
Yeah, I have done that too. But, it only works with some flakes. Some just don't grind up well. My first guppy batches were all raised with ground flakes and egg yolk supplements.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
come get me tang police!

I prefer using live foods because they keep the water cleaner for longer, plus it seems like they eat more actively when their prey is wiggling.

Tags
food, fry, guppies, platies, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com