what happens when you breed a endlers and a regular guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
because im thinking about getting another endler (got a free baby and didnt know what it was until yesterday) and i have a baby frmo before. or will they not breed because of size difference?

They will breed, you get mutts that are not very pretty.

You get undesireable hybrids that are worth nothing....and you are doing the whole endler population no favours....we need all the pure bloodlines we can get, especially as strains are rapidly being wiped-out in the wild.

I am sorry everyone, but I have a different opinion here. I keep guppies in my 29 gallon tank as feederfish for my 75 gal tank. I bought about 200 regular guppies.. burt didn;t like how they looked so "plain".. So I bought a like 4 or 5 of the others that had the nicest markings and introduced them... and the bred... And the offspring were rather exceptional I though... They had all the markings of the really nice ones,m but stayed small like the "regular" guppies. I also got some interesting color variation... but I was feeding them my cichlids color enhancing flakes.. The spotted ones were just so nice to look at. I am glad I did it.. Now the ones that live for a few days in the 75 atleast look nice.. ;) Although I usually try to catch the ugliest ones for the feeder fish so the nicers one have more chances to breed. ;) I am not selling the hybrids or anything.. just wanted nicer looking feeder guppies

Teej, the difference is that by breeding guppies to guppies, you are not creating a hybrid, just a colour/patter variant within the species....all research suggests that endler's livebearers, although related to guppies, are a different species/subspecies.

yeah... i thought they looked pretty nice but i also guess endlers are worth more etc etc.

oh i was just wondering because well... curiosity i guess.

Back
Top Bottom