What if the platy drops her fry overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have her in a breeder box, or a QT with large diameter substrate or screening, the fry will instinctively swim down towards safety. In a normal tank where the substrate does not provide shelter, the fry will likely be mostly eaten by morning.

I just made a separator out of one of those. I had 2 of them and the sticks got broke on one. I used plastic canvas on one of the other top pieces and cut the holes out to slip them over the posts. If you don't have another piece from another one then you can use the plastic canvas and make a box that will sit in the bottom. Another choice is to fill the net breeder with java moss. I did this with one of my latest spans from a large sword and 6 of the babies survived. I don't think she had more than 10 as the babies were very large.
Anacharis, olodea, water sprite or anyhting thich with leaves will help the babies survive in the net long enough to save them in the morning, or at least a few of them. I will get you a picture if I can get one to turn out well enough.

She is a very large sword, about 2 inches and she like it as much as any fish likes these things but she is ready to pop, again. Will be here 3rd batch in 8 weeks.

I bought a standard tank divder, and enlarged the holes with a rotary tool to let fry pass throgh but not the adults:
image142.jpg

image143.jpg

Full text at: http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0019.htm

I like that one too. Just make sure all the holes are as smooth as possible to prevent injuries and infections.

Tell me about it. It was a very tedious job. Hard to believe the nets and breeder boxes are readily available, but a breeding tank divider is not.

image137.jpg

Yep. they will dart over to the other side while the adults are still in there, but spend most of their time in safety. When I got them, they were all in the floating plastic plants on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom