What is the easiest fish/shrimp to breed (besides snails)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an extra 15 (might be 20) gallon aquarium with a heater and filter and wanted to breed something as a project with me niece. Any suggestions? What other equipment will I need?

edit: forgot to say I'll have a 20 watt 6700k light from my 29 gallon aquarium once my new fixture comes in. What kinds of plants will that let me plant with them?

Last edited:
Some of the easiest shrimp to breed are RCS or any other shrimp in that family. Oh and plants I'd do java moss and other such plants:)

Oh nice they look really cool too.

Couple more questions about them then.

1) What kind of substrate should I go with?
2) Can they be fed to any freshwater community fish?
3) If #2 is a no, can I put a few of the bigger ones in my community tank without them getting eaten?
4) Any other tips on them? I'm about to do a forum search for them followed by a google search.

mrhelton said:
Oh nice they look really cool too.

Couple more questions about them then.

1) What kind of substrate should I go with?
2) Can they be fed to any freshwater community fish?
3) If #2 is a no, can I put a few of the bigger ones in my community tank without them getting eaten?
4) Any other tips on them? I'm about to do a forum search for them followed by a google search.

For substance I'd go with sand I like the way it looks and I think it's better, but it really doesn't matter:). Yes there are some freshwater community fish that would eat them, any fish that can put the shrimp in it's mouth will eat it. Yes you could, it would just depend on what fish you already have in there. Personally I've never had any, I've kept ghost shrimp and that's about it... I'm getting the yellow version of these in a little bit. Another few shrimp to look into: tiger shrimp also fairly easy to do, and bee shrimp (CRS) they are harder but if you're breeding them for $ that's the way to go:). Hope this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom