Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is THIS?

Now I am pretty sure that this thing cant be good for my fry so I already did it in.
I was checking out my mystery fry this morning just after lights on & I happened to spot what looked like a tiny ( size of a pin head), white thing that was skooching( not a real word true but very descriptive) its way along the side of the breeding trap I had them in. I got the NO feeling from it right away so I moved alll the fry once more very carefully into a isolation net tank that I bought for the very purpose of raising them yesterday.
The breeding trap is currently submerged in smoking- hot -bleachy- water to kill what ever it was.
My question is was could it have been? And if it is parasitical how would I go about making sure that there arent anymore?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #2

Sounds like planaria. Free food!

Old 02-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well thanks Im just going to do some research on that now..I will post back what I find so everyone can understand this. Cheers!

What I found out really make me want to share.... I have taken this information directly from its source. It is Copyrighted to Adrian R. Tappin. Just so you all know I have no intent to plagerize just educate.

Planaria

Planaria are a free-living flatworm found in almost every kind of environment, on land and in fresh and salt water. They are a very small black or brown flatworm that look very similar to leeches and often appear in freshwater aquariums. They are generally around 3 to 5 mm long, but some grow as large as 10 mm. In a normal aquarium situation they usually don't cause any problems and probably even go unnoticed. However, if you get them in a breeding aquarium, they can destroy a whole spawning of eggs within hours. They are usually seen crawling around on the front of the aquarium after the lights have been turned off. They feed on anything organic but can also infect the mucous membranes of the fish's gills. They feed by sucking food into their gastrovascular cavity through a tube called the pharynx located on the mid-ventral surface.

I am so grossed out...the upside is I got rid of em as quickly as I could.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #4

Wow I was unaware of the possibilty of fish infection. Not to worried myself though the fish make quick work of them

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com