What kind of guppy is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angeltears

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so I was given a 10 gallon tank full of pregnant female guppies. Since I aquired them with no real information as to breeding and such we have had 3 broods of fry drop from different mothers and moved them all to a 55 gallon breeder tank to make them comfortable and not crowded. My question is this I have noticed that some of the fry have a different body shape and a much darker in color than the rest. Can anyone tell me if they may have been cross bred or something? Like I said I have no information as to what happened with them before they were given to me.

Attachments

• 20181211_194450.jpg
    20181211_194450.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 841
Could be a Panda Guppy. Really hard to tell. Any Guppy (and Endler) fish will breed together even young females will become pregnant.

Half black...

What are the other Guppies in the tank?

Well, I assume that you also don't know what genetics those mothers have. Probably you also don't know what male fathered them. Even the parents could've been a mix already. And in these cases it will be a surprise how the offspring will develop.

The black fry isn't a panda for sure. I do breed pandas and in no way panda fry will look like this. It's also not half black. If it would be half black, the black only manifests on the tail till the shoulder.

It's a black guppy. Maybe when it grows up more color markings may show up. My tuxedo red koi guppy fry start off being black like this as well. But when they grow up the red markings show up. But with this black fry you've shown, it will be a matter of time before you can tell how they'll look like.

Back
Top Bottom