what other sign platy/Guppies show whem prgo again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok first off my platy just gave birth to two beautiful orange with black spoted fry yesterday afternoon while I was about to clean out the tanks, good think I scoop them out and put them somewhere safe already...
anyway before she have them I notice that she'll be hiding below the tank near the heater and away from her mate... she sometime well keep going up and down from time to times too...
what I don't get is that, most of the people I read about their platy given birth is that their platy tummy would shape like a squarish look shape, but mine didn't it just shape normally like the other platy... also what's another way to tell if ur platy is prego when all her fin and tummy are black and can't see the black thingy on her side...also I tried flashing a light through her to check, but I guess she's just to thick and the light can't go through her cause I can't see through her like my other fishes...lol...
can I expect her to have more than two or she already have all her baby but I'm just a little to late and they got eaten already...
also my guppies sometimes act like her too... they well keep going up and down...Have the two black spot on their side, but when I flash the light through them I see nothing inside them, but they're tummy are huge too...I only feed them 2-3times a day... also after they gave birth does the black thingy on the side go away or it stay!!! just being curious.... sorry for the long paragraph...;)))

NapowVagie...;)))

Way more than likely, the other fry got eaten. There are many articles online that detail what to look for to identify if your fish is pregnant.

You should be able to tell by her gravid spot (the darkening behind her belly right next to her anus). It gets darker by the fry and their eyes inside her. I've just had a swordtail, a platy and a guppy give birth. My platy gave birth to around 70 so I guess you missed the drop and most of them were eaten.

You should be able to tell by her gravid spot (the darkening behind her belly right next to her anus). It gets darker by the fry and their eyes inside her. I've just had a swordtail, a platy and a guppy give birth. My platy gave birth to around 70 so I guess you missed the drop and most of them were eaten.

The OP said that the Platy is black in color so the gravid spot is not visible

I can't really tell her gravid spot cause from her head down all the way to her tail is black that's why I'm having a hard time looking for it... also I just found another one of her baby... don't worry I already sperate the baby from the adult... also I just put her into a sperate bucket from the other fishes so she can have some alone time... she seem to be calm, staying at a corner, and not moving a lot since the male ain't in their with her no more...

NapowVagie...;)))

Mines had fry yesterday too!

I have 29, one was dead and my cousin said the mom ate 3 that she seen. So I would think yours had a lot more than 2 they were probably eaten.

I only knew mines was pregnant because it was getting fatter and fatter, i never noticed a gravid spot or square shape either.

awwww lucky u... I wish I have a whole bunch of them too... when I first saw the little one I was soooo happy...;)))
wow so I guess I'm not the only one with a platy not showing any sign of prego...lol but I did know she's a prego one since I kept on seeing her near the heater and at the bottom most of the time and will only swim away cause the male kept on chasing her...;)))

NapowVagie...;)))

Back
Top Bottom