What should you do if all of your guppy fry are female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Let's say your guppies have given birth to guppy fry, and all of these fry are female. Outcome that it's a male is 0%, which is just like my case.

I'm left with 3 male adults, 5 female adults, and 6 female guppy fry. I have checked each of the fry fins for any signs of a gonopodium at the rear, but in vain.

I am really hoping that the males can outgrow the females, and breed with the younger ones. The on second thought, it's unethical.

Currently, our nearby aquarium store is under construction. It'll take at least about 1 year or so to finish. And by that time, one or two of my adults should die of old age. There's no transportation around me that I can use. I don't even have a bicycle.

To me, this scenario is like a group of guppies facing extinction.

What should I do? :(

temp can effect the sex ratio. i believe ph can too. it might also be that the males just happened to get picked off before being able to sex them. last case there is always mail order.

Ok, so I've got temperature and water pH level.

Do you know what are the specs for both of them?

If you have only 6 fry, most have been eaten. You will get more fry and some will be males. What is enethical about males breeding back to their offspring? This is normal and used for line breeding. Guppies live longer at cooler temps (don't use a heater), but they grow a little slower. Guppies will tolerate a large range in pH, so anywhere between 6 and 8 would be fine, although they tend to do better in water above 7, Many guppies have been kept and bred in soft acid water. Unless you have some really weird tap water, I wouldn't even be concerned about pH. How old are the fry?

The fry were about 4 weeks ago. I should probably say they might be in the teens by now...

The only problem with inbreeding guppies (or anything for that matter) is that you can see deformities start to happen. It might not be the first 1 or 2 batches, but you will start getting them, then you'll have to cull them, unless you're one of those people who love the misfits. Some people keep tanks just for them.

Back
Top Bottom