What to breed in a 20g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, with having an extra 20 gallon set up and also finding out shelldwellers are illegal to keep in Maine, I'm looking for something else I can breed in a 20 gallon tank. Thoughts and suggestions? I'm too aggravated by Maine's asinine fishkeeping regulations to think of anything right now, so just suggest what you would personally breed in a 20 gallon.

A cichlid would be best. Also you would only be able to keep the pair in a 20g. I recommend dwarf cichlids. I've breed jewels in a 20g, in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guppies. With 20g to spare, you could dedicate it to breed some crazy show room quality strains.

Guppies. With 20g to spare, you could dedicate it to breed some crazy show room quality strains.
That would be cool, but I don't really know anything about fancy guppy breeding though and I wouldn't know where to start. Now that I have a source for hard water ram cichlids I might be leaning towards that.

That would be cool, but I don't really know anything about fancy guppy breeding though and I wouldn't know where to start. Now that I have a source for hard water ram cichlids I might be leaning towards that.

Guppies are probably one of the easiest fish to breed. They breed readily and easily, nicknamed the "million fish." All you need is 12 hours of lighting and hiding places, like plants and pots. They'll do the rest.

I'm a fan of cichlids though, so those rams aren't a bad choice either ;].

Guppies are probably one of the easiest fish to breed. They breed readily and easily, nicknamed the "million fish." All you need is 12 hours of lighting and hiding places, like plants and pots. They'll do the rest.

I'm a fan of cichlids though, so those rams aren't a bad choice either ;].

Oh believe me, I know about guppy breeding. I have some snakeskins in a 10 gallon and they do exactly that. But fancy guppies are a new level, with strains, and dozens of tanks, and selective breeding and culling... or at least that's the impression I was under.

I'd much rather be challenged by getting the fish to breed than by trying to get the fish to look how I want, so I'm not sure fancy guppies would be the most interesting thing for me. More interested in the biology that the aesthetics.

That's ridiculous. The winters would kill them if anyone released them. Ughhh. Sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's ridiculous. The winters would kill them if anyone released them. Ughhh. Sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah, I'm starting to get aggravated. The list is actually impressively comprehensive all things considered but everything I really want happens to be off the list.... endlers livebearers, shellies, dwarf puffers, gudgeons, my favorite fish genus of all time sinibotia.....

The only thing I've been thinking really seriously about that is actually on the list is GBRs. I suppose I could do kribbies or jewels but I've been trying to stick with fish that work in a 10 gallon so I can sell any offspring to other university students (the tank size limit in the dorms is 10 gallons)

Does anyone have any experience successfully breeding multiple species in the same 20? Say, Bristlenose plecos and ram cichlids in the same tank? Or something to that effect.

Plecos will eat ram eggs, can you get apistos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does anyone have any experience successfully breeding multiple species in the same 20? Say, Bristlenose plecos and ram cichlids in the same tank? Or something to that effect.
That would be very difficult because of the limited floor space in 20.

You would also need to select species that won't eat each others fry and/or eggs.

Yep, I can get apistos. I would post a link to the "approved" list but when I try to post links my posts seem to get stuck in limbo.

Never would have thought plecos would eat ram eggs. If I bought breeding caves that would suit both species, would that work? Might allow the rams to more easily defend their eggs...

rams are not cave spawners they keep their eggs out in the open.

Plecos are pretty tricky even with Apistos. Apisots are great parents typically but I have seen plecos slip past them and get to the eggs. Moreover, it stresses out the female trying to protect them. Fighting off a determined pleco is no fun.

Is this the list?
Apistogramma agassizii
Apistogramma bitaeniata
Apistogramma borellii
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma pertensis
Apistogramma trifasciata trifasciata

Back
Top Bottom