What to do with a pregnant neon tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pitel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all, I must say that I am new to the aquarium world and have only recently acquired one from a friend who sadly passed. The tank has been going for around a week and is at about 25C.

We currently have a mixture of fish, and have about 15 or so varying in species.
In this selection we have what I can see is 2 female and 3 male neon tetras - despite the recommended female to male ratio. One of the female tetra appears to be quite large which I'm unsure is bloat, or pregnancy, due to the change in environment.

I don't really know what to do with this tetra as we only have one tank, along with a small breeding trap. If she is pregnant I don't want the other fish to eat the fry.

I'm looking for some advice really, what do you guys recommend? I'm sorry if I confuse any of you, I'm new here!

It's doubtful she's pregnant as neons require some forethought in order to get them to spawn. And if they do spawn, it's really best to let the other fish eat the eggs. The eggs are photosensitive and raising the fry is challenging. If you're new to aquariums it's unlikely that you could manage it.

Thank-you very much for your reply. I'll see what happens, hopefully she's OK. I read that she may be constipated, so I may try epsom salts to see if they have an effect.

I didn't realise how much of an interest i'd have for aquariums, hopefully I can gain a lot more knowledge from here.

Thanks again

Do her scales look like they are "pineconing" at all? Epsom salt is definitely a good thing to try in case she is bloated.

Not at all no, she looks perfectly healthy apart from the bloat. Her eyes aren't swollen either.

Blanched peas are another alternative for constipated fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Blanched peas and Garramus shrimp. (Hope I spelled it right!)

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom