Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what to do with bristlenose pleco fry?

So my bristlenose plecos laid eggs on Wednesday. My male has been obsessively guarding and fanning the eggs and you can start to see the eggs developed.

My question is this.... i have two options for when they hatch. Which would be best?

1- I have a netted breeder box that I could put them in. I have plants in there that would allow them cover. The net would sit right in the fifty five gallon tank that has a canister filter rated for 125 gallons on it, has alot of live plants, driftwood, and gets a 50% water change every 7-10 days. Its kept around 76 degrees.

2- I have a five gallon cycled tank that has no fish in it as of yesterday. It has sand at the bottom, fake plants, a few Java fern, and a piece of driftwood. The filter is for up to ten gallons, but has a sponge piece in the intake so the flow isn't too powerful. Its kept around 76 degrees. I normally do a 30% water change weekly on it, as i only had a couple fry in the.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari
So my bristlenose plecos laid eggs on Wednesday. My male has been obsessively guarding and fanning the eggs and you can start to see the eggs developed.

My question is this.... i have two options for when they hatch. Which would be best?

1- I have a netted breeder box that I could put them in. I have plants in there that would allow them cover. The net would sit right in the fifty five gallon tank that has a canister filter rated for 125 gallons on it, has alot of live plants, driftwood, and gets a 50% water change every 7-10 days. Its kept around 76 degrees.

2- I have a five gallon cycled tank that has no fish in it as of yesterday. It has sand at the bottom, fake plants, a few Java fern, and a piece of driftwood. The filter is for up to ten gallons, but has a sponge piece in the intake so the flow isn't too powerful. Its kept around 76 degrees. I normally do a 30% water change weekly on it, as i only had a couple fry in the.
Congrats! I'd give them the ten. You wont get to enjoy them as much in a net. You'll definitely enjoy watching them grow in the ten. Gl!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's good.. but its only a five gallon. That wouldn't be a problem, would it?

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh! My Apologies. A 5 gallon would suit them for a LITTLE while. I guess it depends on how many fry you put in it. I would still give them their own space, but that's just me.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd put them in the smaller tank as well
Old 06-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've tried mine in a 10 gallon tank and they somewhat survived. After about a week they started dying off because they couldn't negotiate their way to the food. Since I've put them in breeder boxes in larger tanks and have much better success. After a while you can move them to a ten or 20 to grow out further.

Tags
bristlenose, fry, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com