what to do with fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deemcbride

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I woke up this morning and my dalmation molly was skinnier. I then realized she had been pregnant and I have found 2 fry but its hard to get them because I have small rock gravel in my tank. I don't want to crush them by moving the rocks aroundtrying to get them out. Will they die if I leave them in the tank? Not sure how to care for them this is my first tank.

If your tank has enough cover and few larger fish they may have a chance. You can get a breeder net and put them in there for 30-60 days.

I don't know what size your tank is and how much room you have, but there is a cheap and easy way to keep fry alive until big enough to return to the main tank. I have a couple of 5gal buckets that have gravel and a large sponge filter running with gravel on the bottom. I filled them with used aquarium water and just let them perk away for some time. When you get fry you just net them and transfer. In a few weeks they can go back where they came from. Your fry will grow a lot more quickly and get huge if you let them go say 3-4 weeks.

I have a 36 gal tank. There is a golden gourami, a small angel fish and 2 silver dollar. The mom dalmation mollie actually died 2 days ago. I've only seen two fry. They hide in the rock and pop up every once in a while and one actually swam to the top of the tank. I don't know if they will last because I had ick in the tank and have been following the directions on the tetra ick tablet I got and I loat most of my fish. So I'm not sure what to do. I caught one fry when I first found them and it died. So I didn't want to stress them more. I really don't know if my others are going to last.

Back
Top Bottom