What to expect when expecting~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
"Momma", my yellow lab is holding! I think this is week one. I've attached a picture. I've never had any of my cichlids hold so I'm not sure what to expect, what to look for, or have any clue what is going on!

She refuses to find a nice comfy cave and will instead chill out in the open. No one bothers her. Obviously she is not eating, but when will she be ready to spit? And are labs known to be good parents? I'd love some advice. Thanks bunchs!

Labs usually r ok pArents, the mother carries the eggs/fry in her mouth. She spits after about 20-25days(i think), though she and other fish will eat them so if you want to save the fry move her or catch the fry and move them to a breeder or another tank if possible if not put some moss/rocks in with them so they have a place to hide. Hope this helps. Also, wat size tank is she in?

O, yes the fry will be free-swimming when she spits, and there is really no way to tell when she will spit. Good luck

I know its not always available but if you had a holding tank for her to spit without having to worry about other fish if wanting to save the fry its a good way to do so JME plus give a few days for her to get some condition back on before adding her back to your main tank.

UPDATE:

So momma has been carrying since at least the 18th and I'm thinking she is going to spit any day now (do you?) She looks miserable! She is spending more time in hide outs than ever before. I've got a three day trip to California starting tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should put her in a breeding net just in case. Thoughts?

if you put her in the breeder net, she will eat the babies, trust me. after not eating for 20 odd days she'll be hungry.... lol, anyway i would put lots of hide outs in the tank, rocks plants ect. good luck with the fry hope everything works out.

Good point! I hadn't thought about that! She's only been holding for about 15 or so days now that I think about it. I doubt she will spit before I get back on Monday.

can you see in her mouth at how big the fry are, or if they have even hatched?

what you could do is get a cheap breeder net, put in seperate tank (no fish) and cut holes in bottom about 1cm each, 3-5 spaced out so the female cant tear net and get out. jic, put plants/ rockery to protect babies in tank. leave feeding block or long-lasting pellets in sides of net/frame so they dont fall down holes and the mum has food when she spits. then the fry survive and mamma gets food :)

That is def a good idea. I'm wondering now if i should strip her. We are entering into the third week. It's hard to tell if they have hatched yet. ;) I'm guessing no since it is such a struggle to look into her mouth!

my peacock stole my heart the second i looked in her tank at the lfs. she isnt the prettiest at all but she swam right to the front and looked dead at me, never turned away. she was holding too, so i stared long enough to notice tiny white balls (eggs) rolling in her mouth.... try this with your lab. watch her til she gets closer then look into her mouth.

I did nd its cool. I saw bout 3 they pretty big lol nd yea :) they like yellow balls lol

So she has been holding for some time now. Almost a month and I'm thinking of stripping her... But I read somewhere that the fry can be eaten through a breeder net. Is this true?

We had a rough morning! I attempted to catch her which seemed to stress her out completely. (I noticed she was eating a weeeee bit.) Then I tossed in a couple of algae wafers... Which drove the others nuts and stressed her out some more. Her throat is a bit smaller so I think she swallowed a few. I'm going to try to strip her on my lunch break today.

The way I tell if the fry are developed and ready to strip is by the mother eating again. Once she is taking food (actually feeding the fry) the fry have absorbed their yolk sacks and ready to go. this usually happens on week three, I give her a couple days of feeding before I strip her. I find it shows the fry what to eat. Never had a problem with fry not eating this way. Also yes fry can be eaten through a breeder net, breeder box is better but make sure there is a lid. Best is to go get a plain Jane tank and set it up as a grow out. Make sure its a decent size if you want to continue breeder and selling.

mine have had tetra liquifry (tiny powdered food) from the day they were stripped, they ate when they had yolk sacs!
go for a glass breeding box, a floating one will do but a stick-to-glass will be better, if your lfs sells one. no fish escape or are eaten!
u selling them later on?

Alright!!! Mom was stripped today!!! She is pretty panicked. :( However, I got six aquababies. I need for momma to hang in there!!! They are a decent size and I think they will be fine in the breeder net for some time.

yolk sac present in the fry?
well done in stripping her!!!
only six from a chin that size? she must have swallowed someor spat some in the main tank, im sorry x

I'm thinking she spat! Her chin had actually gotten even bigger than that. I stressed her out this morning so it is very possible. Her chin still looks a bit big though, not sure I got them all. I'll check when I get home from work. No yolk sack at all. She's been carrying since the 18th I think.

Back
Top Bottom