what to feed fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently raising my first successful batch of guppy fry. They're about a week old and as far as I can tell, I haven't lost a single one yet! But I was wondering why this time was so different from the rest... the only thing I changed was the food. Before I always just crushed up some regular flakes into a powder and put it in the tank, but this time I got hikari first bites food for them, and they're thriving so much better!

Could this explain the 100% turnaround? I have about 20-25 fry now, where as after the first week of every other batch, i was down to a dozen or less.

What do you feed your fry?

Guppy fry just get powder flakes (which is what most 'fry food' is) or micro pellets. Your water conditions and water changes may be affecting the difference between your two batches of fry....pristine water (usually accomplished via lots of water changes) makes for healthy, fast-growing fry.

another option instead of crushing is to wet the flakes and grind it up in your fingers to a paste. thn the ones that don't surface for it still get fed

That's a great idea, DeFeKt. I've always purchased fry food. I might have to try your idea.

With my first batch of mollie fry, I placed flake food into a baggie and crushed it up real good. With the second batch, I just ground it between my fingers as I was putting it in. I also add brine shrimp pellets as they love those. Have yet to lose one. Just got finished giving away most of the first batch.

On a side note, I do about a 50% PWC approx every 4 days. 50+ fry in a 10 gallon tank can make quite a mess :)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom