Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What type of female for my male betta

So the owner no longer wants this Betta so I get him for free. He is just over a year so in its prime for breeding. He had fin rot but it is a halfmoon. What colour or type of female should I get him? Would a red Cambodian create some nice offspring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-230016485.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	106558  

Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that either the red Cambodian or a very red female would be great, since red is dominate. Make sure she's halfmoon, we wouldn't want his beautiful fins to be shortened I think that you'll create beautiful offspring, best of luck with the fry! (there's tons!)

Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll try my best to find a red female hm. I'll have to look at the rays on the female. If I can find a red vt or a random hm which should I choose for the male?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5424
I'll try my best to find a red female hm. I'll have to look at the rays on the female. If I can find a red vt or a random hm which should I choose for the male?
He's handsome. I have a red VT female wanna set up a date? LOL. Rosie is a big girl, she's the one in my profile pic, and she's a bit of a bully. She's not afraid of anything, she will literally swim into my hand & she always has to check out what I'm doing in the tank if I'm making any changes or doing a PWC she's right there.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would do the random HM. The veiltail will dominate over the HM, which results in bettas you're probably going to have issues getting rid of, for lack of better words.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai

I would do the random HM. The veiltail will dominate over the HM, which results in bettas you're probably going to have issues getting rid of, for lack of better words.
I would think its better NOT to cross breed, the point of breeding is supposed to be to better the breed IMO. if I were going to breed I would stay with the same type of Betta.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca

I would think its better NOT to cross breed, the point of breeding is supposed to be to better the breed IMO. if I were going to breed I would stay with the same type of Betta.
Which choosing the random HM would do, since the male is a HM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca

He's handsome. I have a red VT female wanna set up a date? LOL. Rosie is a big girl, she's the one in my profile pic, and she's a bit of a bully. She's not afraid of anything, she will literally swim into my hand & she always has to check out what I'm doing in the tank if I'm making any changes or doing a PWC she's right there.
She's beautiful. Doesn't look like a vt though as the top a botton fins are a lot longer than the ones on a female vt I used to have. And I'm guessing you wouldn't let her go?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

She's beautiful. Doesn't look like a vt though as the top a botton fins are a lot longer than the ones on a female vt I used to have. And I'm guessing you wouldn't let her go?
Thank you & no I'm not letting her go at this point. It's possible the store had her labeled wrong, I know one of the 4 females I bought was supposed to be a crown tail but I think she was the one I lost a few months back due to my ignorance. :-( The other 3 are supposed to be VT's. Rosie is full of personality & is in charge of the tank. Now you've got me wondering so I may have to do some Googling.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

If any one know where I can get some nice hm female for a good price let me know. In in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so I'm gonna check big Al's when I get back from my trip. I don't really want to have to pay shipping as it will cost me more $$
Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5424 View Post
If any one know where I can get some nice hm female for a good price let me know. In in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so I'm gonna check big Al's when I get back from my trip. I don't really want to have to pay shipping as it will cost me more $$
Hey if your in Calgary check out Canadian Aquarium Connections ( http://www.canadianaquariumconnection.com ) there is a member called FishClubGirl whose from Calgary and who is way into bettas. She breeds them, admittedly mostly the rare wild types but she might be able to hook you up.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishontheRock

Hey if your in Calgary check out Canadian Aquarium Connections ( http://www.canadianaquariumconnection.com ) there is a member called FishClubGirl whose from Calgary and who is way into bettas. She breeds them, admittedly mostly the rare wild types but she might be able to hook you up.
Thank for the reference
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thank for the reference
No problem, always nice to meet another Canadian aquarist online. Nice betta by the way.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. And I could figure our how to pm her. Do you know her email or any contact info
Old 07-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks. And I could figure our how to pm her. Do you know her email or any contact info
If you joint CAC you can contact her through there. I don't know her well enough to be giving out her email, sorry. She's also a seller on aquabids.com under the same username so you could contact her through there as well.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about a ct female if I can find any hms?

Tags
betta, female, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com