What will my baby fish look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nateee04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sooo...I was just wondering what types of baby fish to expect. Like the colors and sizes.
Here are my female fish:
Velvet wag swordtail, lyretail dalmation molly, white molly, white balloon molly, red wag platy, either a sunburst platy or marigold variatus,& gold mickey mouse (had a few babies but i think they got eaten nd she still looks pregnant)

Males:
Velvet wag swordtail, cremecicle lyretail molly, gold mickey mouse, sunburst platy or marigold variatus, cobra endlers guppy (he's so pretty but he killed my female guppy, he would stop bothering her)

Oh and can my swordtails and platies mate together....that would be cool to see:)

I think thats all but I am thinking about getting some ghost shrimp and maybe some glo-fish! lol

Thanks!!!

Okay so all I know is, don't get ghost shrimp because your Molly's will eat them.

Your ratio seems off. You should have 3 females to 1 male. That goes for the mollies and the platies. Yes swordtails and platies can interbreed.

I have 3 female mollies, 1 male. 2 male platies and 3 females... I'm low on the females because I really want some tiger striped platies but they are never at petsmart because everyone buys them :(...and for the guppy/endler, I've been looking for female endlers but I can't find them so I guess I'm going to have to get guppies. Swordtails, I want a different type of female, not a red velvet, something that is more eye catching. lol.. Oh and I found out what the fish I couldn't figure out were, gold twin-barred platies but they have that yellow to redish orange lol.

Remember to count the swordtails and platies together. The mollies are pretty close I'm just uncertain if a "normal" male molly will mate with a balloon.

From my experience. Mollie's and platies need 3 females to 1 male or any other males will be killed by the dominant male (from my experience) it may take a while but will eventually happen

I heard the balloons and normals do but I don't know. I will have to take a bunch of trips to different pet stores to get all different types of fish but it's worth it. I'm looking forward to getting some butterfly balloon mollies, some different of swordtails and females. Hopefully I can find some really pretty female guppies or endlers! But my tank looks the same XD. All I see when I walk into my room is red, orange, yellow, black, and white! I want some glo-fish but idk if my tank will be 2 crowded. erggggg.

Last edited:
Oh my tank is a 20 gallon high tank. Is it already overstocked with 12 fish?

nateee04 said:
Oh my tank is a 20 gallon high tank. Is it already overstocked with 12 fish?

Well IMO you could have maybe a couple more as long as they are female

Keep in mind the mollies at least will prolly get bigger. I think you're getting close to capacity.

nateee04 said:
I heard the balloons and normals do but I don't know. I will have to take a bunch of trips to different pet stores to get all different types of fish but it's worth it. I'm looking forward to getting some butterfly balloon mollies, some different of swordtails and females. Hopefully I can find some really pretty female guppies or endlers! But my tank looks the same XD. All I see when I walk into my room is red, orange, yellow, black, and white! I want some glo-fish but idk if my tank will be 2 crowded. erggggg.

If you got your male a petsmart or a chain there is a very slim chance its a endler, its probably just a cobra guppy. You will probably have to ordered female endlers online.With all the fry you are going to be overstocked (IMO) so I would just leave your tank as is.

I was at petsmart last week and I saw a tag above a tank that said endlers livebearer and it had a picture of an actual endler on it; however, the tank was empty. I even bought a few from petsupermarket the one by me carries an incredible variety of uncommon fish for chain stores which of course the employees know nothing about.....

Well, I'm putting the fry in a different tank. Also, I just bought 3 female guppies, a female bumblebee? platy, nd a pretty snakeskin guppy:)... oh and ghost shrimp to clean it out! So far none of my shrimp have gotten eaten. I'm happy with my tank now and think I'm done, hopefully. Ahhh I just bought glofish but they are in a different tank (1 orange, 1 green, 1 pink). I'm planning on getting more and hopefully some blues and purples, and more greens!!!! But for the endler/guppy, thats what it was called "Cobra endler guppy" and I think it has endler in it because it is way smaller than my male guppies I had before. :)

nateee04 said:
Well, I'm putting the fry in a different tank. Also, I just bought 3 female guppies, a female bumblebee? platy, nd a pretty snakeskin guppy:)... oh and ghost shrimp to clean it out! So far none of my shrimp have gotten eaten. I'm happy with my tank now and think I'm done, hopefully. Ahhh I just bought glofish but they are in a different tank (1 orange, 1 green, 1 pink). I'm planning on getting more and hopefully some blues and purples, and more greens!!!! But for the endler/guppy, thats what it was called "Cobra endler guppy" and I think it has endler in it because it is way smaller than my male guppies I had before. :)

Ha nice. You will never be done. I have a 10g and I said that's all I want but now I'm getting a 30g and a 55g

Sooo...I was just wondering what types of baby fish to expect. Like the colors and sizes.

Here are my female fish:
Velvet wag swordtail, lyretail dalmation molly, white molly, white balloon molly, red wag platy, either a sunburst platy or marigold variatus,& gold mickey mouse (had a few babies but i think they got eaten nd she still looks pregnant)

Males:
Velvet wag swordtail, cremecicle lyretail molly, gold mickey mouse, sunburst platy or marigold variatus, cobra endlers guppy (he's so pretty but he killed my female guppy, he would stop bothering her)

Oh and can my swordtails and platies mate together....that would be cool to see:)

I think thats all but I am thinking about getting some ghost shrimp and maybe some glo-fish! lol

Thanks!!!
well, your platys will be orange or red mostly. When different varieties breed, you eventually end up with mutts that tend to have dull colors IME. However, since your platys are similar colors, you will get red/orange babies.

Back
Top Bottom