whats the best way to breed guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryans-planted-tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have managed to get my partner allow me to have a second tank ;-) so i thought i would try breeding guppies, iv got a 95L tank to do this. Its been cycled and i have a ratio of 4 females to 1 male, but all fry are being eaten!!!! why? i feed them twice a day. i have got a large fake moss ball in there and some live plants, do i need it to be more planted ?

I would go with more plants, guppies will basically breed nonstop. So the hard part is raising the fry, just make sure there are plenty of hiding place where the adults can't get

You may also look into java moss. It makes awesome coverage for fry, and will quickly take hold in your tank if you have proper lighting.

Floating plants, tonnes of it. Like, half-cover the surface of the water with floating stuff. They'll hide in it.

Iv got java fern attached to a piece of bogwood and all the fry hide in that

+1 jetajockey
I agree that a separate grow out tank would keep most of the babies alive.

The problem is the java fern doesn't have fine leaves so the adults can just swim in and eat the babies. Could you get some hornwort, cabomba, anacharis, or some other floating plant? These would help the fry keep safe.

I put in some lava rock along the back.... They hide in it.... I also had some fake plants that came with a set up I bought, that didn't have anchors so I cut them into 2-6 inch pieces and babies hide there too.... Tho I find they like the lava rock hill the best :) good luck!

thanks guys iv decided to plant my tank abit more and add some fry hiders what i have had from ebay. BillD im going keep them till i have about 40 then im going take the rest to my local fish shop to exchange for fish for my main tank.

daisytron said:
thanks guys iv decided to plant my tank abit more and add some fry hiders what i have had from ebay. BillD im going keep them till i have about 40 then im going take the rest to my local fish shop to exchange for fish for my main tank.

You do realize you arent going to make very much money off of them right? It honestly isnt worth the work of keeping them fry alive to get like $.25 per fish.

Keep the adults in one tank and fry in the other I find it's easiest to put the ready to drop females in the fry tank that has one half completely packed with fake plants and caves pack it from top to bottom (they sleep near bottom alot of times andhide and play on top in the day, I use mine for feeder fish for pirihanna and even tetras enjoy a few every once in a while, I have countless guppies and generations of fry doing it this way in a matter of months and it's almost too many lol, chainstores usually won't buy em if ur in Canada pets unlimited only gets there stock from quebec but small stores will buy em usually just a trade of store credit though have bought entire new aquariums with this process can only make like 50 bucks a run though but it adds up quick if ur an addict and sell to multiple stores, show guppies make big money sometimes can get up too 50 dollars a piece for nice male proven breeders but the work needs to be dedicated and have a way to dispose or cull off or separate from the normal ones, can take up to 10 tanks but it's a hobby to pay for all ur other gear after about a year and multiple buyers, you defiantly won't get rich but it's a reason to go to every store that you can get too and at least pay ur gas (the uk has mad show guppies and parakeets(budgies) and have seen a guppy for up to 150 bucks it's was a sweet one though)

Back
Top Bottom