Whats wrong with her??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
She's HUGE!! And her scales on her belly are starting to spread and spike. Could she just be extremely pregnant or is there more to it? I thought because she is so light I would be able to see the fry by now, but I can't.
Is there something wrong with her? :(

Attachments

• image-496187121.jpg
    image-496187121.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 127
What kind of fish is she? She looks pregnant, but it's weird that the bump is all the way up to her head.

She's a guppy.
She's got stringy white poo, which they apparently get soon before giving birth but she's had that for over 12 hours now.

Lycie said:
She's a guppy.
She's got stringy white poo, which they apparently get soon before giving birth but she's had that for over 12 hours now.

The bump for 12 hours or the stringy poo? I haven't raised guppies, but I raised platy. To me she looks like she may just be bloated, but since guppies reproduce alot she could be pregnant. Could someone else give a second opinion since I haven't actually raised guppies, but raised platy?

She's had the stringy poo for over 12 hours. She's been gradually getting bigger over the last few weeks. So I assume she's pregnant but I'm just worried about how big she's getting

In all honesty I don't think that her raised scales are from the pregnancy. Her "stringy white poo" could possibly be a parasite or there is a chance she has dropsy. Try posting in the unhealthy fish thread and see if you can get another opinion

Thanks butterfly. I've posted in the unhealthy fish section. I think you might be right about her having dropsy :(

butterfly_koi said:
In all honesty I don't think that her raised scales are from the pregnancy. Her "stringy white poo" could possibly be a parasite or there is a chance she has dropsy. Try posting in the unhealthy fish thread and see if you can get another opinion

Sometimes when a fish is so pregnant her scales pine cone and the white poop might means she's close to fropping

I hope you're right fish guy. I would much rather her be pregnant than sick.

Yes. I had her in the net over night. But I thought maybe she was a bit stressed and let her back into the main tank.
I did a big water change too, but still no fry.

That sounds like it could be dropsy unfortunately because of the symptoms you've decribed

Yes. I had her in the net over night. But I thought maybe she was a bit stressed and let her back into the main tank.
I did a big water change too, but still no fry.

I agree that it looked like dropsy, but was curious as to how your fish is now doing.

Hi Lynda. She did end up dying unfortunately. I've been keeping a close watch on my other fish. I'm terrified they're all going to get it now :(

Back
Top Bottom