Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When a snail dies does it raise problems for your tank

i had one die and then my fish started getting sick.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
They make a lot of....ammonia....if I remember right when they die but the fish could've died for other reasons I suppose 8O

Old 05-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Did I sit in your tank for a while before you knew it was dead? I doubt one dead snail is hurting your tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well it was a very big snail and only a 10 gallon tank.It was dead for a few hours.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
a few hours isn't going to be long enough to start decomposing the snail and causing toxic levels, i suspect you have other water perameters that are off and dangerous. Do you have a freshwater test kit which contains Ammonia and Nitrite tests? Do you do water changes and what frequency?
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

...Moved to Unhealthy Fish...

You may have water quality issues, which resulted in the snail's death and the illness in the other fish.
Quote:
i had one die and then my fish started getting sick.
Let's nip this in the bud. You need to answer the full array of Qs asked of all ill fish owners and then check out Disease Diagnostic Charts and Other Helpful Sites.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, the questions posted above are important ones. We've had tons of snails die in my mom's feeder guppy tank. I guess the black algae is toxic. Even my large ramshorn met its maker. The guppies seem to enjoy and finish them off so we don't even remove them. No problems in the tank from dead snails for more than a few hours.

Tags
die, snail, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com