When are my guppies due to have babies? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I swore last night my blue guppy was about ready to pop so I put her in the breeding net over night, but no babies and she even looks smaller somehow (if that's even possible)
Now the yellow guppy looks more ready for her babies but I'm just not sure when :/
Any advice on how much longer?
Can I put both the guppies in the net together? And if so for how long can they stay in there before getting too stressed?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-2446775989.jpg
    image-2446775989.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image-4003950211.jpg
    image-4003950211.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 92
The longest i would keep a female in a breeders net is overnight. But having two in the net would make it more stressful for them. For two i would say maximum of 3-4 hours . They both look ready to pop, if you can i would add some plants for them to hide in to birth , and so the fry can. Hide out too

Your Female Guppies

Hello L...

I keep Fancy Guppies and have never separated my pregnant females. To me, it's too stressful for them and me too. I keep all my Guppies together in a large, planted tank.

The best thing you can do for your females is to do a large water change; half the tank volume isn't too much and make the treated replacement water a little warmer. If your females are close to giving birth, the flush of pure, warm water will help them. My Guppies love weekly, large water changes with the slightly warmer water and it seems I always have a few new fry immediately after the water change.

I would start feeding all the fish a little more and a little more often. It's been my experience with Fancy Guppies that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry. Probably why I have a high fry survival rate. Attached is a pic of one my "potted" Guppy tanks.

Just a thought.

B

Thanks so much for the advice guys!
I like the tip about keeping them well fed to avoid the fry getting eaten.
And if there are still no fry in the morning I will definitely try the large warm water change.
I was getting stressed when they took their turns in the net. Possibly that's why my blue guppy looks smaller now with no fry yet?
Blue guppy was in the net last night and yellow is in there tonight. But I will look into getting lots more plants then to avoid using the net. And in the mean time will have to just keep a very close watch until they have them!

If she looks smaller she might be stressed from the moving but I think that's normal .

Samzter said:
If she looks smaller she might be stressed from the moving but I think that's normal .

Thanks Samzter. I've decided not to move them around anymore, as it just seems to be too stressful. I'll just watch out for babies and scoop them out before they get eaten.
And also blue guppy had her babies about a week ago now and I managed to get 8 of them.

Back
Top Bottom