When are the babies big enough...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
5 Mickey Mouse Platy babies in the nursery. Was told they could join the tank when they got up to the size of a neon? I think they are getting there but maybe not quite yet. Any help appreciated... Also should they be moved out before more fry are born?

image-1068508379.jpg

what i go by is twice the size of your largest fishes mouth in the tank :) and yes imo if the new fry are less the the size of your largest fry from the batch above. hope this helps!

Thanks!
Keeping an eye on the mommy again.
The first 5 were born on 12/9, so I guess it's possible she could be ready again..?

I have that same problem with my swordtails... I have one batch about ready to go and another just born last night. My real problem is that I have dragon gobys and a couple eels in the tank and I'm worried all my hard work will be wasted. Congrats on your new little ones.

I have that same problem with my swordtails... I have one batch about ready to go and another just born last night. My real problem is that I have dragon gobys and a couple eels in the tank and I'm worried all my hard work will be wasted. Congrats on your new little ones.
if i were you id get another nursery container and a small tank. put one batch in each nursery tank and start to cycle the small tank. jmo. i wouldn't let my guppy fry NEAR eels.

Wow good to know! We only have fish so far! I dont know what else to even consider for our tank right now!
I never thought about two nurseries either! Good idea for lil fish who breed a lot!
I was kind of hoping she'd have them today since I'm off work! Wonder if I should move her to nursery away from other big fish? I just hate to scare/stress her!

Newfishlover07 said:

Congrats on your new little ones too! :)

Wow good to know! We only have fish so far! I dont know what else to even consider for our tank right now!
I never thought about two nurseries either! Good idea for lil fish who breed a lot!
yeah i have two nursery things but i don't keep my fry in there for long because once they get larger but are still not large enough to go into my main tank, i put them into smaller tanks like 2.5 gallons. plus once they get around 3/4 of a centimeter my danios start jumping into the container and freak out because they can't get out. they are just curious though, and usually don't eat any fry.

animalzrok2 said:
well if you are pretty sure that she will drop today, i would

I thought she might have this morning, but so far she's just been pooping all day... Lol

Do you think it's best to put her in the nursery now? I don't want to move her too soon but I don't want all the other greedy fish making a meal out of her babies!

domsmom said:
Do you think it's best to put her in the nursery now? I don't want to move her too soon but I don't want all the other greedy fish making a meal out of her babies!

I'd only put her in when she's square as not to stress her too much... Watch her very closely.... And if you really think she's close then put her in. You can always take her back out to swim a day and put her back in...

i agree with ocminpin. i dont put my fish in the nursery for more than 24 hours.

Thank you for the advice! I have five baby's left... Had to get rid of the other 70. Now I have one female left to pop. Sadly two of my females died having babies and the babies were eaten by my eels and gobys before I even knew they were born. Anxious for this next batch which is due any day because I got a 75gal for all my other fish and I will keep my 30 gal set up for the babies. I can't believe how fast these little guys grow. Just a week and they are almost triple their original size.

Back
Top Bottom