Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

When are the babies big enough...?

5 Mickey Mouse Platy babies in the nursery. Was told they could join the tank when they got up to the size of a neon? I think they are getting there but maybe not quite yet. Any help appreciated... Also should they be moved out before more fry are born?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1068508379.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	68222

Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what i go by is twice the size of your largest fishes mouth in the tank and yes imo if the new fry are less the the size of your largest fry from the batch above. hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks!
Keeping an eye on the mommy again.
The first 5 were born on 12/9, so I guess it's possible she could be ready again..?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, as long as all water conditions are fine
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have that same problem with my swordtails... I have one batch about ready to go and another just born last night. My real problem is that I have dragon gobys and a couple eels in the tank and I'm worried all my hard work will be wasted. Congrats on your new little ones.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfishlover07 View Post
I have that same problem with my swordtails... I have one batch about ready to go and another just born last night. My real problem is that I have dragon gobys and a couple eels in the tank and I'm worried all my hard work will be wasted. Congrats on your new little ones.
if i were you id get another nursery container and a small tank. put one batch in each nursery tank and start to cycle the small tank. jmo. i wouldn't let my guppy fry NEAR eels.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow good to know! We only have fish so far! I dont know what else to even consider for our tank right now!
I never thought about two nurseries either! Good idea for lil fish who breed a lot!
I was kind of hoping she'd have them today since I'm off work! Wonder if I should move her to nursery away from other big fish? I just hate to scare/stress her!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfishlover07
Congrats on your new little ones too!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsmom View Post
Wow good to know! We only have fish so far! I dont know what else to even consider for our tank right now!
I never thought about two nurseries either! Good idea for lil fish who breed a lot!
yeah i have two nursery things but i don't keep my fry in there for long because once they get larger but are still not large enough to go into my main tank, i put them into smaller tanks like 2.5 gallons. plus once they get around 3/4 of a centimeter my danios start jumping into the container and freak out because they can't get out. they are just curious though, and usually don't eat any fry.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsmom View Post
Wonder if I should move her to nursery away from other big fish? I just hate to scare/stress her!
well if you are pretty sure that she will drop today, i would

Tags
babies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com