When Can Mollies Start Breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrogs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got two new mollies about 6 months ago. We got two females and were hoping they would breed. It took two months but both finally got pregnant. One died right before birth, the other molly gave birth about three month ago. She got pregnant again and just had 6 more fry (for a total of 11 fry) and died right after. So, when can the mollies start breeding:facepalm:. (I heard 4 months) I currently a full grown male, 6 new fry, and 5 three month old female fry. When can my baby mollies start to breed because I don't want any more baby mollies.:nono:

Please help. I don't know when they can start breeding and if I should separate males and females.

Okay what size tank? Are you keeping them in brackish water?

Just separate them and take the male(s) back to the lfs.

The tank is 10 gallons. I have all of them in a floating breeding tank that sticks to the wall of the tank.

I got two new mollies about 6 months ago. We got two females and were hoping they would breed. It took two months but both finally got pregnant. One died right before birth, the other molly gave birth about three month ago. She got pregnant again and just had 6 more fry (for a total of 11 fry) and died right after. So, when can the mollies start breeding:facepalm:. (I heard 4 months) I currently a full grown male, 6 new fry, and 5 three month old female fry. When can my baby mollies start to breed because I don't want any more baby mollies.:nono:
Yeah some people say 4 months, other's 3mths. If you don't want anymore fry, you'll have to remove the male..
With your females that died, where they in a seperate tank when giving birth??

No. Same tank. Why, should they be separated? I'm not home all day to watch them. But, I do check the tank just to make sure all the fish are alive and that's when I saw the fry in the tank.

No. Same tank. Why, should they be separated? I'm not home all day to watch them. But, I do check the tank just to make sure all the fish are alive and that's when I saw the fry in the tank.
I always keep my females in a LARGE plastic box in the aquarium after they give birth. It's actually a fish/reptile transport plastic box with a detachable lid. I just take the lid off and put some holes in it and secure it to the tank with algae magnets. This gives her a chance to rest and get some food. I have heard of and seen for myself, the male pester her as soon as she has the fry..Since i've started doing this, i haven't lost a female. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it works for me and i'm not changing now!!. The box only cost 5euro.. It's called a Small Pals Pen. They come in 1ltr right up to 17ltr. I also raise my fry in it until their big enough for the main tank

Attachments

• 5283.jpg
    5283.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 695
not sure about mollies, but my male guppies start developing the gonopodium around 3.5-4 months old... until then they all look female. good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. That box could really come in handy. All my 3 month old fry all look female. Will the dad try to breed with his own babies once they get bigger? I just released the older babies into the actual tank. I'm a beginner with this whole aquarium thing. I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to fish. The advice is really useful, trust me, I will need it.

Thanks for the advice guys. That box could really come in handy. All my 3 month old fry all look female. Will the dad try to breed with his own babies once they get bigger? I just released the older babies into the actual tank. I'm a beginner with this whole aquarium thing. I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to fish. The advice is really useful, trust me, I will need it.
Those boxes are great. Yes he will try and breed with his own kids!!. Best of luck with them...Ian
Ps...Most rocket scientist i know are useless with fish. They are better just playing with their rockets!!!!

Those boxes are great. Yes he will try and breed with his own kids!!. Best of luck with them...Ian
Ps...Most rocket scientist i know are useless with fish. They are better just playing with their rockets!!!!

ha ha ha but I don't think rocket scientist play with rockets, do they?

Back
Top Bottom