Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
When to add a Boesemani Rainbow fry to the community tank?

Hey all,

I inadvertently have a single Boesemani Rainbow juvenile (I wasn't trying to breed them... he is pretty much a miracle baby). He/She is about 5 months old and about an inch long. He is hanging out alone in a 10g. When is he safe to add to my community tank with his parents/aunts/uncles? I can wait as long as needed, I am simply unsure of the optimal time. He is at least as large as my Cardinal Tetras so he won't be the smallest fish in the community tank. Are the adult Boesemanis likely to harass him?

Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
As far as I know rainbows are generally peaceful even during breeding. You could give it a test run as see how they react.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________

__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
My only caveat is a test run is probably not possible. The main tank is a heavily planted 90 with lots of wood and once a fish goes in, getting them back out is not a heavily likely prospect, especially a tiny fish that can easily hide. Once he goes in he is pretty stuck there! I just want to be careful not to introduce him too early to the other community fish. As I said though he is as big as a full grown cardinal, and he eats the same food as the main fish. So he can probably hold his own?
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,179
Woahh!! The smartest fishless cycling person on the planet just shows up out of no where with rainbow questions welcome back!!! Float John/Jane in a net or breeder and see what kind of attention is drawn from the fam?? Can't see it being a big deal. Especially if there is lots of cover to seek refuge in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
My only caveat is a test run is probably not possible. The main tank is a heavily planted 90 with lots of wood and once a fish goes in, getting them back out is not a heavily likely prospect, especially a tiny fish that can easily hide. Once he goes in he is pretty stuck there! I just want to be careful not to introduce him too early to the other community fish. As I said though he is as big as a full grown cardinal, and he eats the same food as the main fish. So he can probably hold his own?

Being heavily planted he will have plenty of places to hide. Only thing I see is making sure he is getting food and not outcompeted.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Woahh!! The smartest fishless cycling person on the planet just shows up out of no where with rainbow questions welcome back!!! Float John/Jane in a net or breeder and see what kind of attention is drawn from the fam?? Can't see it being a big deal. Especially if there is lots of cover to seek refuge in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah you spotted me teehee
You guys are probably right, it will probably be fine! And considering what he has survived already, he/she is a pretty hardy little fishy. I think it would be fine! I will move him soon!

Hoping it turns out to be a girl... the main tank has 5 boys and only 1 female. I tried to get a second female when I added #6 (a long while back) and the LFS person insisted it was female and I was sure it was NOT and I should have stuck to my guns because I was right, sigh.
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FWFishTanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
Yeah you spotted me teehee
You guys are probably right, it will probably be fine! And considering what he has survived already, he/she is a pretty hardy little fishy. I think it would be fine! I will move him soon!

Hoping it turns out to be a girl... the main tank has 5 boys and only 1 female. I tried to get a second female when I added #6 (a long while back) and the LFS person insisted it was female and I was sure it was NOT and I should have stuck to my guns because I was right, sigh.

Should be fine, where have you been? Last time I saw you was when I first joined the forum! Good to have you back!
__________________
guppies, mbunas, life is gr8
FWFishTanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishTanks View Post
Should be fine, where have you been? Last time I saw you was when I first joined the forum! Good to have you back!
I'm just a fickle hobbyist in all regards. I'm either all in all the way up to my ears obsessing and being involved with every last element of my (current) hobby, or I'm abruptly skirting it and obsessing about something else. that's just me for ya
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
All right he is being drip acclimated now!! Wish him/her luck!! I should have taken a picture of him first, in case I never see him again...

I'm not sure why this makes me so nervous. I just really want to reclaim this 10g (for what? I don't even know...)
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
Well, so far so good! He seems fine, isn't hiding, just hanging out near the top and no one is harassing him. Funny, when I got him (or her) in, he is bigger than I had thought. About the same size as a my grown harelequin rasboras, and easily as big as the biggest cardinals. I think he's gonna be fine

There was something really exciting about having a lone unexpected fry that lived despite insane circumstances. I sure hope he/she does well in the main tank now.
__________________
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
I can't believe I ever worried! He/she belongs here!

05-01-2015 by threnjen, on Flickr
__________________
90g FW Community, heavily planted, w/29g sump filter * 10g FW plants/quarantine/whatever * 5.5g FW Nano dirted/planted * 20g long FW community * 3.7g FW Pico
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Beautiful tank!


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
threnjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,611
Oh thanks! It's a bit gangly and unruly right now. I need to get it whipped into shape!
__________________

__________________
90g FW Community, heavily planted, w/29g sump filter * 10g FW plants/quarantine/whatever * 5.5g FW Nano dirted/planted * 20g long FW community * 3.7g FW Pico
threnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boesemani, community, community tank, fry, tan, tank, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I add Boesemani Rainbow mikem691 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 10-13-2012 11:38 PM
More new fish - Rummynose Tetras and Boesemani Rainbow neilanh New Acquisitions 5 02-12-2007 12:51 PM
Boesemani Rainbow kaz Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 10-31-2005 03:43 PM
ideal Boesemani Rainbow tankmates... deluxechev Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 04-20-2005 12:47 PM
Boesemani Rainbow questions mikemou Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 06-20-2004 10:27 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×