Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

When to add a Boesemani Rainbow fry to the community tank?

Hey all,

I inadvertently have a single Boesemani Rainbow juvenile (I wasn't trying to breed them... he is pretty much a miracle baby). He/She is about 5 months old and about an inch long. He is hanging out alone in a 10g. When is he safe to add to my community tank with his parents/aunts/uncles? I can wait as long as needed, I am simply unsure of the optimal time. He is at least as large as my Cardinal Tetras so he won't be the smallest fish in the community tank. Are the adult Boesemanis likely to harass him?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as I know rainbows are generally peaceful even during breeding. You could give it a test run as see how they react.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Old 04-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My only caveat is a test run is probably not possible. The main tank is a heavily planted 90 with lots of wood and once a fish goes in, getting them back out is not a heavily likely prospect, especially a tiny fish that can easily hide. Once he goes in he is pretty stuck there! I just want to be careful not to introduce him too early to the other community fish. As I said though he is as big as a full grown cardinal, and he eats the same food as the main fish. So he can probably hold his own?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woahh!! The smartest fishless cycling person on the planet just shows up out of no where with rainbow questions welcome back!!! Float John/Jane in a net or breeder and see what kind of attention is drawn from the fam?? Can't see it being a big deal. Especially if there is lots of cover to seek refuge in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
My only caveat is a test run is probably not possible. The main tank is a heavily planted 90 with lots of wood and once a fish goes in, getting them back out is not a heavily likely prospect, especially a tiny fish that can easily hide. Once he goes in he is pretty stuck there! I just want to be careful not to introduce him too early to the other community fish. As I said though he is as big as a full grown cardinal, and he eats the same food as the main fish. So he can probably hold his own?

Being heavily planted he will have plenty of places to hide. Only thing I see is making sure he is getting food and not outcompeted.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Woahh!! The smartest fishless cycling person on the planet just shows up out of no where with rainbow questions welcome back!!! Float John/Jane in a net or breeder and see what kind of attention is drawn from the fam?? Can't see it being a big deal. Especially if there is lots of cover to seek refuge in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah you spotted me teehee
You guys are probably right, it will probably be fine! And considering what he has survived already, he/she is a pretty hardy little fishy. I think it would be fine! I will move him soon!

Hoping it turns out to be a girl... the main tank has 5 boys and only 1 female. I tried to get a second female when I added #6 (a long while back) and the LFS person insisted it was female and I was sure it was NOT and I should have stuck to my guns because I was right, sigh.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
Yeah you spotted me teehee
You guys are probably right, it will probably be fine! And considering what he has survived already, he/she is a pretty hardy little fishy. I think it would be fine! I will move him soon!

Hoping it turns out to be a girl... the main tank has 5 boys and only 1 female. I tried to get a second female when I added #6 (a long while back) and the LFS person insisted it was female and I was sure it was NOT and I should have stuck to my guns because I was right, sigh.

Should be fine, where have you been? Last time I saw you was when I first joined the forum! Good to have you back!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishTanks View Post
Should be fine, where have you been? Last time I saw you was when I first joined the forum! Good to have you back!
I'm just a fickle hobbyist in all regards. I'm either all in all the way up to my ears obsessing and being involved with every last element of my (current) hobby, or I'm abruptly skirting it and obsessing about something else. that's just me for ya
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

All right he is being drip acclimated now!! Wish him/her luck!! I should have taken a picture of him first, in case I never see him again...

I'm not sure why this makes me so nervous. I just really want to reclaim this 10g (for what? I don't even know...)
Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, so far so good! He seems fine, isn't hiding, just hanging out near the top and no one is harassing him. Funny, when I got him (or her) in, he is bigger than I had thought. About the same size as a my grown harelequin rasboras, and easily as big as the biggest cardinals. I think he's gonna be fine

There was something really exciting about having a lone unexpected fry that lived despite insane circumstances. I sure hope he/she does well in the main tank now.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't believe I ever worried! He/she belongs here!

05-01-2015 by threnjen, on Flickr
Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beautiful tank!

Caleb
Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh thanks! It's a bit gangly and unruly right now. I need to get it whipped into shape!

Tags
boesemani, community, community tank, fry, tan, tank, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com