When to add danio fry to adult tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastguppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a lone zebra danio "teen" who's about 3/4 of an inch (age undetermined...I posted about him a while back; maybe 6 weeks old?), and he's in a 10 gal with about 20 (2 week old) smaller siblings. Once in a while he tries to catch them but so far he's not big enough and seems to be enjoying the baby brine shrimp I'm providing. I know that it's just a matter of time before he successfully consumes one, and I'm not into that at all.

I have a 29 gallon containing the 7 adults who unwittingly gave rise to this new population of fry - when can I place the lone teen in the tank with the grown ups? I was also thinking that if he doesn't get in with a school soon he's going to get more aggressive and weird. He now totally looks like a mini adult, as opposed to 'fry-like'. I don't want the parents to bully or torment him, but at the same time he's acting like the classic "big fish in the small tank".

I've got a breeder box coming in the mail so I can move him to there in the interim.

Ok, tl;dr - when can I place a danio fry in with adults?

Tbh man, if u think he is a bigger threat to the fry then I would move him. My priorities would be the breeding adults life, and the majority of the fry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did the switch tonight but as I suspected, the adults went after him. Went out and got a divider, and everyone is happy for now.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok last update... Just got home and 3 adults had snuck into my "airtight" / escape proof enclosure. The little guy was in there with the 3, all snoozing. I scooped the big guys out, but I had better figure out how they are getting in there to begin with. *sigh* These guys are sneaky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So frustrating! So they managed to find a space to sneak in. I fixed it, so I thought, and next thing I new, the little guy was back in with the big ones. I give up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom