When to separate them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my two girls (mollys) are pregnant.
How do I know when to separate them?

I have these two girls and only one male in the tank but have a separate tank set with plants for birth which I'd like to put them into but as it doesn't have a filter I don't want to put them in there too soon.

376981_10150486986721349_605911348_10564923_1984702337_n.jpg

well, if it were me, i'd never separate them........just let them give birth and the hardiest fry wlil grow up;) idk if they are pregnant, i think the whiet one is, but not the koi/orange one.....................

if you want to separate, I'd do when they look ready to explode........

Thank-you for your reply. I was beginning to think no-one was going to.

I will add an updated photo shortly but they are both definitely pregnant. They have grown considerably in the last few days.

I would estimate the orange/black (I can't remember the term used for that colour) is around a week less gestation as she was introduced to my green sailfin male a week after my creamsicle.

I will see how they go, perhaps let their first batch each fight it out in the tank.

cheeky_monkey said:
Thank-you for your reply. I was beginning to think no-one was going to.

I will add an updated photo shortly but they are both definitely pregnant. They have grown considerably in the last few days.

I would estimate the orange/black (I can't remember the term used for that colour) is around a week less gestation as she was introduced to my green sailfin male a week after my creamsicle.

I will see how they go, perhaps let their first batch each fight it out in the tank.

No wait a week or two then saparate

a week or two from mating, or from now?
The creamsicle would be roughly 2.5 weeks gestation, the orange 1.5

cheeky_monkey said:
a week or two from mating, or from now?
The creamsicle would be roughly 2.5 weeks gestation, the orange 1.5

Um from now in there pregnancies, 1 week to 3 weeks window maybe later can I see another pic

Well surprise surprise. While doing my PWC today I found a fry! I purchased my orange girl pregnant and woke one day to find a few dead fry in the bottom of the tank so I thought she aborted or they had issues.

Fast forward a week or so and I found a live one. Dad was chasing him so I've moved the wee one into his own tank.

Also considering this I think it puts my orange girl another week behind creamsicle.

Anyhow I'm having troubles getting photos today bad lighting but here's what I managed and I'll get some more later.
Creamsicle now has a gravid spot but it's hard to photograph today.
383153_10150500629721349_605911348_10613634_247911415_n.jpg

390274_10150500630366349_605911348_10613643_464332_n.jpg
380096_10150500630076349_605911348_10613640_1579053585_n.jpg

And the fry because I'm a proud Mumma!

Yay! Isn't it fun?
I'm awaiting the birth of my Dalmatian Molly Cruella's babies... Any minute.. Shes Day 36 and strange behavior last week or so..

Definitely. I feel like I'm 40 weeks pregnant again waiting on my own baby to arrive! I don't know if perhaps birth is in the air today bit both girls AND dad are all just skimming the bottom of the tank this morning. My creamsicle "Gwen" is hiding out in a cave that dad doesn't fit into so perhaps that's a sign?

I've been watching your thread too, very beautiful fish Cruella.

cheeky_monkey said:
Definitely. I feel like I'm 40 weeks pregnant again waiting on my own baby to arrive! I don't know if perhaps birth is in the air today bit both girls AND dad are all just skimming the bottom of the tank this morning. My creamsicle "Gwen" is hiding out in a cave that dad doesn't fit into so perhaps that's a sign?

I've been watching your thread too, very beautiful fish Cruella.

Thank you so much :) She's one of my favorites. She's the only one who has stood her ground and TOLD my male NO to his constant mating with her. She literally smacked him back and forth with her tail like you see in the movies! He stopped, went and pouted and then went about his business. Haha
Its day 39 and I'm not sure what to think.. Slim chance she's had them, another chance she may just be holding onto them.
I've noticed when there are babies being born the other fish act differently beforehand AND after... My other fish scurry around looking for any missing babies they can eat and relentlessly peck and dig at the plants... They get over it after a day or so.

GOOD LUCK with your babies!!

I know nothing about breeding so I can't help you with Cruella but hopefully she drops soon.

This is quite unusual behaviour for my tank they are usually all very active and come "talk" to me at the side of the tank but not so far today. My water is fine so perhaps they are just in baby preparation mode.

Back
Top Bottom