When will my baby guppies get color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kera777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have 13 baby guppies, 12 of them were born on fathers day and the other was born several weeks before that. The mom has black spot on her tail and the dad had an orange tail with yellow on him. The babies are in a ten gallon by them selves (plus a yellow mystery snail) I feed them first bites baby fish food. The biggest one is just starting to get a spot or two on its tail, but when should they start getting color on them?

Around 1-2 months color should appear. If you want to see it a little sooner turn up the heat and feed them a little more:). But I'd just wait because turning up the heat will shorten their lives.

I dont mind waiting, :) also when should i be able to put them back in the tank with their parents?

When I used to breed guppies I would put them back in the tank when the tails started to get a bit of color.

The rate at which they develop color has a few variables. Genetics does play a part in it too. I have had guppy fry that were born with colored tails. The rest start to show their colors at a couple weeks. I have found that the fry from more colorful mothers develop their own colors much more quickly.
I add the fry back in the display tank once they are too big to be easily swallowed.

Back
Top Bottom