When will my balloon molly give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kittykat364

Aquarium Advice Freak
She gave birth on December 23, 2013 and she is looking a bit bigger than usual. When should I put her in the box? The other fish were chasing her around so I am wondering if she is getting close. Here is a pic

IMG_3351.jpg

She gave birth on December 23, 2013 and she is looking a bit bigger than usual. When should I put her in the box? The other fish were chasing her around so I am wondering if she is getting close. Here is a pic

View attachment 217163
It can be hard to tell with Balloon Mollies for obvious reasons but it's usually 4 wks between births. Personally I would give her another 3-4 days before putting her in the trap. Do you use one of the regular size floating traps??

It is a bit bigger than others I have seen. She is fine in it, she is a very mellow fish. I have put her in it before and she was fine.

She is in the trap now, and she doesn't seem unhappy at all. In fact, she seems happy to get away from the bully of the tank, the other balloon Molly.

The bully is so crazy, she chases her around when they are both in the tank together, but when the gravid one is in the trap, well..look!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390404591.922769.jpg

On another note, does she look like she is gonna give birth soon? And, when she does, will it be ok if the newborns are in the tank with the one-month-olds? If necessary, we can set up the net and put the newborns in it in the big tank until they are big enough.

I took her out of the box because she hadn't given birth in the 36 hours she was in it. I will see if I can find any fry in my densely planted tank in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom