When will my platy drop fry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdmalkmus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know these things are impossible to predict, but I am going crazy watching the tank. My pregnant platy is the smallest fish in the tank and I know the fry will get gobbled up as soon as she has them, even though the tank is well-planted.

I first noticed she was pregnant 3 weeks ago... not really sure how long she was pregnant before I was able to make out that she had fry in her belly. I have been able to see the eyes of the fry for over a week now. About 5 days ago I noticed the white bubble above her anal fin. I noticed today that it is starting to open. She is still really active and is still wanting to eat. Her belly isn't squaring off yet. Also, this is her first pregnancy, so she doesn't seem to be carrying too many fry. This is what is scaring me the most because I know she might be ready even though she isn't huge.

I am just wanting a better idea (from people with more experience than me) of when she might deliver. I have a tank set up for the fry for after they are born, but I would be too afraid to transfer mom when she is this far along in her pregnancy. I have a breeding net in the large tank, but I am still debating whether or not I am going to use it. If I happen to look over and notice that she is actively in labor, I might try to encourage her to swim in so I can keep the fry safe while she is delivering. I am also considering just scooping up the fry after they are born and transferring them to the new tank. What do you guys think is best?

I am attaching two pictures. They were taken tonight. One is from the side. The angle gives a good view of her belly and the fry. The other is supposed to be of the white spot, but you can't really see it. I can clearly see that it is opening.

Best guess as to when she will deliver? Should I be on high alert?

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 123
Back
Top Bottom