when will platy drop fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pregnant platy, she was quite visibly pregnant 3 weeks ago - She is a bit bigger now but she still has not dropped any fry. I have her seperated in a 10 gallon by herself. I attached a pic from 3 weeks ago - how much longer do you think till she drops?

Attachments

• image-4209256568.jpg
    image-4209256568.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 335
I just took these pics today -

Attachments

• image-260088050.jpg
    image-260088050.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 253
  • image-3068854009.jpg
    image-3068854009.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 171
She's been hiding the last couple days. She didn't eat this morning either.

Those are two very good signs(not eating,and hiding) your fish will drop either later today or tomorrow

Ive got 5 pregnant platys but when i seperated them they did not lay . They were in a breeding tank for 10 days , as soon as i let them out they gave birth !!

blade916 said:
Ive got 5 pregnant platys but when i seperated them they did not lay . They were in a breeding tank for 10 days , as soon as i let them out they gave birth !!

They were stressed from the breeding tank. U should only keep them in the breeder for 2-3 days at a time.

Thanks they have dropped twice since ive had them but this is the firdt time ive kept the fry in a breeding net !! Hopefully have some more soon ..

blade916 said:
Thanks they have dropped twice since ive had them but this is the firdt time ive kept the fry in a breeding net !! Hopefully have some more soon ..

Once the start dropping they can drop regularly. About 28 days on average.

Yeah i no they are always fat even once they drop .. I read they only need to breed once and will give birth 3 times before needing to be fertalized again ..

Still no fry. Is this normal? It's been a little over 7 weeks since I noticed she was pregnant

Back
Top Bottom