Where are all the ghost shrimp go'in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikizinaniisii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where are all the ghost shrimp go'in, in the new large tank? I went out and bought the largest tank that would fit in my room, since I have one more parrot coming next month. (Hopefully) If Allergist says no, I will have to concider my options on that one. Anyway I have this huge tank, and 6 glofish in it, 6 neon Tetra, 3 white cloud Tetra, 2 female Mollies-one gave birth last night during the night in the tank I have netted out 4, there were still two in the tank but unable to get them and haven't seen them in a while. 2 swordtails One male one female. 3 female platy's of varying types, one male. There were 28 ghost shrimp. I can now usually count 15 at the most, so where are they going?

Also will ghost shrimp babies hatch out of the eggs in the primary tank? Is there something special I should be doing?

Emo Gurl
Catch me at
www.emogurl.net

Without knowing exactly what's going on in your tank, a few suggestions:

Swordtails and Glofish can get big enough to eat even full-grown ghost shrimp, and any fish that can eat a shrimp will love to do so.

Ghost shrimp are generally sold as feeders, and like all feeders are likely to be unhealthy. If any were white as opposed to clear in any part of their bodies when you got them, they were on their way out.

Unless your tank is completely bare-bottomed, it's not reasonable to assume you can see all shrimp that are present. I can probably count 25 shrimp in my 30-gallon tank at any time, but I'm sure there are over a hundred in there.

They also sometimes come up in the gravel vac if you're not careful.

As to breeding, I don't know what you have exactly, so the following assumes you have the southern ditch shrimp Palaemonetes paludosus, which is the species most commonly sold as "ghost shrimp." There is no chance of raising babies in that tank, because you just have too many fish that would love to eat them. The larvae are small and tasty, besides being weak swimmers that tend to float at the top of the water just like flake food. This behavior also makes them ill-suited for survival in a conventionally filtered aquarium, although they would probably make it with an undergravel or sponge filter, actually.

I've found that the best bet for larvae survival is to remove the berried female to an unfiltered quarantine tank or 5-gallon bucket. Ideally a lamp over this and some floating plants would provide food for the young. Driftwood or just a handful of dead leaves (brown ones from the ground, nothing that still has sap in it) will also provide a food source. If you do this, make sure the eggs are external to the female before you move her. The eggs develop internally and are visible for some time before they have been fertilized. Once they are release from the body they are ready to hatch and no longer require a male. At this stage they will be held tightly in the swimmerettes under the mother's tail, where you will see her constantly juggling and fanning them to provide water movement.

In theory there wouldn't be anything wrong with removing the female and a male to quarantine at the first sign of eggs, but I have no idea how to identify a male shrimp.

Well I saw a small one today. Yesterday my casper-female beta had a feast of one. No big deal it's part of the life cycle of a tank. I lost one and gained 9 viable black mollies, 2 marble and 3 pinapple /marble mixes. Going to be interesting to see what they develope into when grown since they are just clear now. *two of my molly's had fry a day apart one in the tank and I saved only five, one in the fry catcher and she had like 20 some but the fish in the other half of the fry catcher kept eating her babies who insisted on coming back up through the trap thing once they were down in there. We ended up with 11, and 2 died. One I was routing for because he had horrible odds and he was fighting against all odds.

Back
Top Bottom