Which Fish To Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blackmolli said:
Try breeding gouramis they are neat when they breed and don't eat the young

That's a good idea, maybe some croaking gouramis? What do you think? I really like their color. I know their anabantoides, so are they just as hard to breed as bettas?

I didn't read through every post, but you could make a dime or two off cherry shrimp and ember tetras. I plan on at some point breeding them both.

For embers, you have to separate your parents from fry, but it is worth it because I believe they lay about 40 eggs every month or so.

You just pick your most colorful male and a good female and feed them live foods for a few weeks before hand.

It's my plan at least!

MABJ said:
I didn't read through every post, but you could make a dime or two off cherry shrimp and ember tetras. I plan on at some point breeding them both.

For embers, you have to separate your parents from fry, but it is worth it because I believe they lay about 40 eggs every month or so.

You just pick your most colorful male and a good female and feed them live foods for a few weeks before hand.

It's my plan at least!

I already have a 10G RCS tank. To be honest, I prefer inverts like shrimp over fish lol but I'll check out ember tetras!! How many would you advise in a 20? Thanks!

Gotcha! Well then scratch that, but you could always dabble in a new shrimp. Rare ones like blue tiger sell at 225+ for just ten shrimp X.X

I'm planning 6 in a 5gallon... I'd say if you're just trying to breed, you'll need an individual 5 or 10 tank just to breed one pair.

You'd keep them all in the same tank to start, but when they're ready to breed, move the male and female to the new tank, let them lay their eggs and then move them back so you can raise the fry.

SO it isn't all about the number you put in a 20.

In a 20 though, I'd say you could easily fit a few schools at 8-12 each..

The buggers get to .7 inches and have such a small bio load.

The cockatoos are apistos I believe and yes they can be kept in a 20gal. They can also be kept in a 10gal. Mine are in an overstocked community tank at the moment.

MABJ said:
Gotcha! Well then scratch that, but you could always dabble in a new shrimp. Rare ones like blue tiger sell at 225+ for just ten shrimp X.X

I'm planning 6 in a 5gallon... I'd say if you're just trying to breed, you'll need an individual 5 or 10 tank just to breed one pair.

You'd keep them all in the same tank to start, but when they're ready to breed, move the male and female to the new tank, let them lay their eggs and then move them back so you can raise the fry.

SO it isn't all about the number you put in a 20.

In a 20 though, I'd say you could easily fit a few schools at 8-12 each..

The buggers get to .7 inches and have such a small bio load.

Trust me.....I'm dying to get a new shrimp tank!! Haha I have to pick up a RO/DI unit first (so much money for one): )

Oh ok, I'll just use the DIY egg trap jeta told me about. Thanks for all the info!

Chenay83 said:
The cockatoos are apistos I believe and yes they can be kept in a 20gal. They can also be kept in a 10gal. Mine are in an overstocked community tank at the moment.

I feel pretty dumb right now.......... I didn't know they are apistos lol I wouldn't feel right about putting a pair in a 10G, I'll put the pair in a 20 then, thanks!

So far this is what I'm thinking about which to breed, in numerical order:

1. CPD's
2. Croaking Gouramis
3. Krib's
4. Ember tetras

I believe that ember tetras are egg scatterers also, so if you go with those you could do both cpds and ember tetras in the same tank, via the egg trap method. You may want to research it a bit more but it's an idea.

jetajockey said:
I believe that ember tetras are egg scatterers also, so if you go with those you could do both cpds and ember tetras in the same tank, via the egg trap method. You may want to research it a bit more but it's an idea.

Oh really? If I do end up going with the CPD's, I will also do the ember tetras. Thanks jeta!

Yeah don't quote me on the ember tetra thing, I've never spawned them, but I have successfully spawned multiple egg scatterer species in the same tank since they all use the same spawning ground.

Back
Top Bottom