Which is better, Breeder's net, or breeder's box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
the title says all. ihave a 55 with platies guppys and mollies. i have breeding structure in the tank (one male for every two -3 female, plants for the fry to hide) i was wondering what would be better, or if either is worth using seeing as it stresses the females out, also is it pausible to put a male and a female in either one of the breeder things and try to get the traits that the male and female have to come out in the fry? how would i know if she hasent stored sperm from another male that dosent have the trait i want?:thanks:

A net allows for better water glow but sometimes they can come with a divider which is handy to stop the parent eating the fry. I personally just densely plant the tank and let the fry hide!

Also, a female will store sperm for around three month or three/four batches of fry so it would be impractical to keep a male and female in a box for that long to ensure you selectively bred them. Best way for this is a separate dedicated tank and leave the female in until she no longer carries the previous sperm then move in the desired male.

That make sense!?

I have had great success with the fish breeder net with my frys to separate from the other fish. All 41 frys are still living.

Back
Top Bottom