White Cloud Mountain Minnow painful birth......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to have a go at breeding them, because I always saw the females getting really big, then it was gone, and I have never seen any fry.
So I set up a 5 gallon with a seeded sponge filter and some java moss+ some sort of stern plant tied to a piece of rock with a rubberband, picked my fattest female and my prettiest male out, and moved them in.
First day I didn't see any action, which was okey to me, still aclimating, second day (yesterday) was a different story, they were mating whole day long. This morning I looked at the female and noticed her belly is completely gone, so I put them back in with the rest of their friends. So now I have a 5g full of eggs waiting to hatch :D

Now here's the actual problem: My female's 'behind' is looking very painful and sore......is this normal? It's completely red, and quite large.

I managed to take a picture of it
I know, it sounds/looks funny, but it looks painfull, anything I can do or is it normal?

Well, she looks much better already without giving any meds. The eggs however look like they weren't fertilized or maybe my water is too cold: about 63°F. I know these minnows can be kept at this temperature, but I'm thinking it's too cold for the eggs to hatch succesfully. I'll get me a 25W heater for my next try. I'm going to keep on doing water changes and put in food for the fry (keeping a banana peel in a jar of water in the sun, water looks like it has plenty of food in it, don't know what the little critters are called, but the waters white), because it's possible that I'm just missing them. Some of the eggs are gone, others still there, so i'm guessing some did hatch.

Tnx for the advice anyway Menagerie :wink:

Back
Top Bottom