Why aren't my guppies breeding?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donkeycong2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 8 mature females and 1 mature male in a 36 gal planted aquarium. They are the only fish in there and are extremely active and healthy, but... I've had them for almost a year and I haven't seen a pregnant female once. I've had multiple males and still there has never been a pregnant female. I live in Chicago, do you think there might be something in the tap water that causes infertility? I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME ANSWERS AS I WANT MORE GUPPIES!-donkeycong2:)

No. Depending on where you got them they may have been treated to retard breeding. Make sure your males have complete sex organs and if so, find another source for stock.
You didn't say if the females swell up, square off or have dark spots near the base of the anal fisn. Swelling the square look and dark spots are signs of impending birth. I don't see how you would not have surviving fry based on the set up you described.

You can get some really nice fish that will breed on Aquabid. These fish are from the realy show quality breeders and their culls will be your treasures.

It took over a year for my guppies to get it on :) and the mollies too... I guess they will do it when they are ready ! Good luck !

Breeding Guppies

I have 8 mature females and 1 mature male in a 36 gal planted aquarium. They are the only fish in there and are extremely active and healthy, but... I've had them for almost a year and I haven't seen a pregnant female once. I've had multiple males and still there has never been a pregnant female. I live in Chicago, do you think there might be something in the tap water that causes infertility? I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME ANSWERS AS I WANT MORE GUPPIES!-donkeycong2:)

Hello don...

Females can hold their fry until they feel water conditions are right for fry survival. They'll thrive in a heavily planted tank with a lot of floating plants. I keep Hornwort, Anacharis, Duckweed, and Pennywort floating in my Guppy tanks. Pure water conditions are a must too. I remove and replace half the tank water every week and include a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water.

My guess is, you just need set up the right conditions for the fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom