Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Why Breed?

There are some obvious answers to this question of course. Some reasons on a larger scale would be to keep a species alive or sell them. But, I feel as if there are a lot of owners who do not large tanks and I am unsure of what they do with the newly born fish. Can someone please help me grasp the concept as to why a lot of people like to breed fish. It is definitely interesting!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Some people breed fish to offer captive bred specimens rather than wild caught. Some do it for the money, selling to LFS's and on eBay, etc. Some do it just for the challenge. In my case with my kribs, I just wanted to see if I could get egg layers to breed.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Some people breed fish to offer captive bred specimens rather than wild caught. Some do it for the money, selling to LFS's and on eBay, etc. Some do it just for the challenge. In my case with my kribs, I just wanted to see if I could get egg layers to breed.

Thank you for the response. So LFS actually buy!? That is cool. I think it is a verrry cool concept that I might dabble in, in the future. This question came to mind after watching a great YouTube channel (YouTube - Jazzy78910's Channel) He had some interesting breeding videos and his last video on a Brine Shrimp Hatchery seems simple genious!!

I have multiple ghost shrimp in a community tank that are currently carrying eggs. Do you think there is a chance that some might make it through with the tank housing a Betta, some cory cats, and bristlenose. I feel like it is a long shot but it would be cool for a few to make it through.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some LFSs buy, but it usually has to be something a bit more exciting than your standard livebearers. My favorite LFS offered to buy any GBRs I may breed, but they didn't want any guppies, so I sell my guppies on Craigslist.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com