why breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was wondering why take the time to breed or care for fry if your. Fish do breed? Can you sell the fry to your LFS??

Most people tend to thier fry so they are healthy and then trade to LFS or sell. Might aswell make your hobby pay for it's self right.

Yes I think that is a very good idea! I hon estly didn't know that you could sell the fry though which is why I was asking! Lol I might try in this case!

There are many great reasons for breeding fish. Here are a few that I could think of:

1. Breeding and reproduction is part of the lifecycle of any living thing. Experiencing it while under our control gives us a greater respect for the life we are preserving.

2. While you may be able to sell (or trade) some fish with a LFS - many breeders have found it much more lucrative to get involved in their own reselling operations to provide livestock to fellow aquarists that is much higher quality than something a store might sell, because you know that your fish was raised by a dedicated and caring person. (SN1 and Severum Mama are my personal favorites).

3. In the case of rarer species or species that have harvesting restrictions - captive breeding is an effective way of allowing these fish (and corals / invertebrates) to remain in the aquarium hobby without having to cause continuing depletion of the wild population.

i breed my fishes cuz its entertaining for me, seeing how different species care for there young and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom