Why havnt they given birth yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria52797

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 pregnant guppies and they have been HUGE for several days. There gravid spots are super dark and I know they should pop anytime. But why is it taking so long? Is the water to cold? I have a ten gallon with a heater that all my fish are in. And in thay ten gallon I have a net wich my already born guppy fry are in. My 4 pregnant females are in a 3 gallon so I can't put a heater in it. Is the water to cold? Any ideas of why they havnt given birth yet? Please let me know. And thanks =D

Alexandria52797 said:
I have 4 pregnant guppies and they have been HUGE for several days. There gravid spots are super dark and I know they should pop anytime. But why is it taking so long? Is the water to cold? I have a ten gallon with a heater that all my fish are in. And in thay ten gallon I have a net wich my already born guppy fry are in. My 4 pregnant females are in a 3 gallon so I can't put a heater in it. Is the water to cold? Any ideas of why they havnt given birth yet? Please let me know. And thanks =D

It could be the shock and stress of being moved from a heated aquarium to a cold one. If they are too stressed out they will delay the birth. Do you know how many days they've been pregnant for? Have they given birth before? And have you checked your water parameters?

They havnt given birth since I've had them but they could have before I'm not sure. I floated them for a while before I put them in the colder water. I don't have a thermometer thing in that tank so I'm not sure what the exact temp is.

Alexandria52797 said:
They havnt given birth since I've had them but they could have before I'm not sure. I floated them for a while before I put them in the colder water. I don't have a thermometer thing in that tank so I'm not sure what the exact temp is.

How long have you had the guppies for, and how long have they been with a male for?

They've been with a few males ever since I got them around a 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe less or a little longer than that.

You've probably got about another week to go then. Mine are regular at 4 weeks. Always on the Friday :) they pretty much are pregnant again as soon as they've given birth. They can take up to five weeks though. Have they started hiding in quiet corners yet? they also kinda square off just before they drop too. They'll look more like this \_/ rather than this U.

Alright but there so fat lol. Thanks I can't really tell how there shaped I think more like a U

Back
Top Bottom