why is my holding cichlid still eating???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a yellow lab that is holding a batch of fry right now and it is pretty obvious. this isnt a maybe she is maybe she isnt thing i am positive. but i didnt notice it till today since i have been away for a while and havent been watching as closely as i normally do. so when i fed today she swam up looked at it then swam away but then she went back and sucked in a very small sinking pellet. is she maybe trying to get some food for the fry? i thought they didnt eat at all till they release them? any ideas?

ok thats a good sign. i want to move her to a 10 gal i have so i can save the fry but will she freak and swallow the fry if i try to catch her? i really want to save this batch since i lost the last batch of fry that my peacock was holding. any tips on how to do this?

Turn off the lights for an hour or two, and net her while she's sleeping. She'll still be almost comatose for a few minutes when you turn them back on to catch her. Have some plastic plants or java moss in the 10 gallon, so she isn't placed into a bare tank, to minimize stress. Turn off the lights soon after she's moved, you shouldn't have any problems. Of course, I'm assuming the 10 is cycled and ready for fish.

ya it already has a bunch of guppies in it and has been running for about a year or so. it has PFS in it but not much else since it was simply a grow out tank. i will add a bunch of live plants for her to nibble on and i can hopefully net her out while she is munching on those. i will have to work on catching her over the next few days. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom