Why is my male angelfish attacking the female angelfish while breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YunoGasai212121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He keeps attacking her to stay away from the eggs and she can’t go near them even though they are her eggs. He keeps putting up his fins and tapping her chest or sometimes swimming super fast at her (she’s jumped out of the water because of it but it was covered so she didn’t like fall on the floor). Honestly I can’t believe how fast they can swim, I took a video of the attack and when they attack it’s so fast you can’t even see it in the video it’s just all blurry.

Pictures:
IMG_2350.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg

Tank info
Tank size: 29G
Filter: tetra whisper 30
Tank temp: 79F
Fish symptoms: male attacking female angelfish
Water changes: 50% per 2 weeks
Chemical additives: 2 angelfish and eggs
Plants: plastic
No chemicals added

Pretty angels!! They do that. He might be tired of her eating eggs. Or, you could have them switched up and she is hitting him. The female will generally be on the eggs and him in the area

Nah they switch back and forth just get kinda violent with each other sometimes and I saw her lay them so definitely not switched up and also I’ve noticed they keep going to this same spot at the bottom corner behind a plant. Are they planning to move the eggs there or something?

My angels move wigglers to another plant leaf. They do bicker back and forth through the process.

If they are spawning then they like one another at least a little

So half my eggs are still alive and it’s been 3 days (tbh I thought they’d die by now because I didn’t have the equipment like a sponge filter set up because I didn’t know it would happen) so what do I feed them? Can I just feed them really really small flakes? When do I have to feed them?

And why do both the female and the male keep sitting at the bottom of the tank in the same location and are like taking shifts doing it IMG_2419.jpg

He keeps attacking her to stay away from the eggs and she can’t go near them even though they are her eggs. He keeps putting up his fins and tapping her chest or sometimes swimming super fast at her (she’s jumped out of the water because of it but it was covered so she didn’t like fall on the floor). Honestly I can’t believe how fast they can swim, I took a video of the attack and when they attack it’s so fast you can’t even see it in the video it’s just all blurry.

Pictures:
View attachment 309734
View attachment 309735

Tank info
Tank size: 29G
Filter: tetra whisper 30
Tank temp: 79F
Fish symptoms: male attacking female angelfish
Water changes: 50% per 2 weeks
Chemical additives: 2 angelfish and eggs
Plants: plastic
No chemicals added
What type of angels are those?
I may be getting in to angels, and those look very nice.

Those are standard Silver Angels, sometimes called "wild type".
When the fry start developing in the egg, they move a little. Sometimes the parents can't resist the movement and eat the eggs. That is why they ate the good eggs and left the bad ones. Happens all the time.

Those are standard Silver Angels, sometimes called "wild type".
When the fry start developing in the egg, they move a little. Sometimes the parents can't resist the movement and eat the eggs. That is why they ate the good eggs and left the bad ones. Happens all the time.
Thanks for the info. I kept seeing them called striped angels, but when I searched that I kept coming up with the larger Altum Angels.

Now that I know what they are more often called I can target my research a little better, and decide if I want to keep them.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom