Why Is My Male Molly Harassing my Pregnant Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowsNrams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He won't leave her alone. She looks like she is getting to get away from him but he doesn't get it. I don't know when she will give birth, so I don't know if the babies are actually coming out & he is gobbling then up before I can even see them, or if he is just really into mating. Anyone had this problem before? I have two other females but his focus us on her.

I have a net to put her into when she starts to give birth but don't want to put her in until I know for sure she is laboring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard and witnessed a similar occurrence in Platies. Apparently, the female releases pheromones when about to give birth, which the males can detect. This apparently makes them want to harass the female, possibly eating her fry in the process.

Sorry to hear about the harassment...wrote an article in the forum about mollys if you want to check into it. Can't post link because I'm on a phone. Either way...
The female will try to find a place by herself when she is ready to drop her fry, and tall/floating plants are great in this regard for safety. The male or other fish can and will stay near her to get a quick meal if they can, so it is recommended that when it comes time for her to give birth she be placed in a breeder trap or a fry tank.
Sounds like you'd want to keep the fry, which is awesome, because molly fry are in my opinion, the best looking live bearer fry, always colorful. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom