Why won't my guppies give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristie_denine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My guppy has been looking close to popping for 2 1/2 weeks! She's been pregnant now for about 5. I change the water 50% every day but I just started doing that two nights ago. Lately she's been secluding herself but I think the tank is too small for her to really get away from everyone in the tank. In considering taking the males out because the keep bothering her.
How can I help my fish. I don't want her to die pregnant. Also I have two other females pregnant and they have been pregnant for 29 days now.

I would get a breeders net for her when she starts giving birth but you will just have to wait check your waters nitrate and all that stuff because she wont give birth until the water is perfect for the fry. also I would do only 20-30% changes but that matters the size off your tank.

all three of my guppies started giving birth today!!! Currently I have around 24 babies!!! Wow!!!

good for you my guppy finally gave birth to 31 fry :) its been around 5 weeks for her too

all three of my guppies started giving birth today!!! Currently I have around 24 babies!!! Wow!!!

Yes 53. I don't know if there was anymore in there. I looked for a long time and then finally gave up

Your Female Guppy

My guppy has been looking close to popping for 2 1/2 weeks! She's been pregnant now for about 5. I change the water 50% every day but I just started doing that two nights ago. Lately she's been secluding herself but I think the tank is too small for her to really get away from everyone in the tank. In considering taking the males out because the keep bothering her.
How can I help my fish. I don't want her to die pregnant. Also I have two other females pregnant and they have been pregnant for 29 days now.

Hello Kris...

Female livebearing fish can hold their fry until they feel conditions are right. You simply need to prepare the tank in a way that makes the female feel comfortable. 50 percent water changes only need to be done weekly for small tanks and every 2 for larger ones. Livebearers need a lot of floating plants for privacy. Drop stems of Hornwort into the tank. The more the better. The plant keeps the tank water clean and hides the fry. When you change the water, make it a bit warmer. I do my water changes with 80 degree water. The flush of warm water will encourage the female to drop.

Livebearing fish prefer a bit of standard aquarium salt in their water. A teaspoon or a touch more in every 5 gallons of replacement water calms the fish during this stressful time.

Feed a variety of frozen, freeze dried and a little flaked food and feed a little more often. It's been my experience with livebearers, that the adults won't bother the fry if they're well fed.

B

29. Found another. I feel like my 3rd guppy is still giving birth. Idk. They are separated and I'm waiting an extra day.

well I just counted up all my fry and so far I have around 70 and my other guppy is now giving birth XD

Back
Top Bottom