Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Why won't my guppies give birth?

My guppy has been looking close to popping for 2 1/2 weeks! She's been pregnant now for about 5. I change the water 50% every day but I just started doing that two nights ago. Lately she's been secluding herself but I think the tank is too small for her to really get away from everyone in the tank. In considering taking the males out because the keep bothering her.
How can I help my fish. I don't want her to die pregnant. Also I have two other females pregnant and they have been pregnant for 29 days now.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

I would get a breeders net for her when she starts giving birth but you will just have to wait check your waters nitrate and all that stuff because she wont give birth until the water is perfect for the fry. also I would do only 20-30% changes but that matters the size off your tank.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

or even have 2 tanks 1 male guppy tank and another female
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

She could be stressed, or possibly bad water parameters.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #5

all three of my guppies started giving birth today!!! Currently I have around 24 babies!!! Wow!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

good for you my guppy finally gave birth to 31 fry its been around 5 weeks for her too
Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

all three of my guppies started giving birth today!!! Currently I have around 24 babies!!! Wow!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #8

I got baby guppies today also. I have 53 of them.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #9

53!!! Wow. Got my total to 28 healthy babies.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #10

Why won't my guppies give birth?

Yes 53. I don't know if there was anymore in there. I looked for a long time and then finally gave up
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

I still have 2 guppies that are pregnant.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Female Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie_denine View Post
My guppy has been looking close to popping for 2 1/2 weeks! She's been pregnant now for about 5. I change the water 50% every day but I just started doing that two nights ago. Lately she's been secluding herself but I think the tank is too small for her to really get away from everyone in the tank. In considering taking the males out because the keep bothering her.
How can I help my fish. I don't want her to die pregnant. Also I have two other females pregnant and they have been pregnant for 29 days now.
Hello Kris...

Female livebearing fish can hold their fry until they feel conditions are right. You simply need to prepare the tank in a way that makes the female feel comfortable. 50 percent water changes only need to be done weekly for small tanks and every 2 for larger ones. Livebearers need a lot of floating plants for privacy. Drop stems of Hornwort into the tank. The more the better. The plant keeps the tank water clean and hides the fry. When you change the water, make it a bit warmer. I do my water changes with 80 degree water. The flush of warm water will encourage the female to drop.

Livebearing fish prefer a bit of standard aquarium salt in their water. A teaspoon or a touch more in every 5 gallons of replacement water calms the fish during this stressful time.

Feed a variety of frozen, freeze dried and a little flaked food and feed a little more often. It's been my experience with livebearers, that the adults won't bother the fry if they're well fed.

B
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

29. Found another. I feel like my 3rd guppy is still giving birth. Idk. They are separated and I'm waiting an extra day.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

well I just counted up all my fry and so far I have around 70 and my other guppy is now giving birth XD

Tags
birth, guppie, guppies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com