Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wich beginner fish can I breed In 2 ten gallons?

Hi everyone just a quick question (title) sorry to lazy to wright title lol. I have never purposely breed fish long story. Just maybe want some suggestions and advice as I would like to start breeding fish.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Probably the easiest fish to breed would be guppies, you could add a male and some females and then just be absolutely amazed at the amount of fry. They are livebearers so they don't lay eggs, the fry just pop right out, make sure you have a plan for all of the fry though. They are super easy to keep/breed, just make sure your tank is fully cycled, keep them fed and keep the temperature around 24 degrees Celsius. They are little rabbits

Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow that would be cool! before I would do that I would ask my pet store if they would take free guppies if that would be a good idea
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it is a chain petstore like Petsmart, Petco, etc they most likely won't take any fish. And you could ask your LFS (Local Fish Store) but because guppies are so common I don't think they would take any off your hands or if they do then most likely not the entire batch of fry. You could try Craiglist too but that wouldn't be consistent, I'm sure there are some guppy breeders on here who could better tell you what they do with their fry, sorry I can't help much in that department
Old 08-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's totally fine would there be any hard breeding pairs maybe for later on to have a challenge
Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

For a challenge you could do a breeding pair of German Blue rams in a 10 gallon, only them though and they are pretty sensitive to water quality. Or oyu could do their hardier "cousins" Boliviam rams. Or apistos, although I've had no experience with apistos so I can't help you there. IME GBRs are beautiful fish and I've bred them once on accident in a community tank and it was definitely very exciting. Or if you're thinking of breeding but want something that isn't a fish, breeding shrimp like Cherry shrimp is very fun and their colors are amazing although they are pretty easy to breed.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow I love the gbr they are awsome definitely an option
Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

But I'd wait for more experience before tacking those cuties
Old 08-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about bettas I have cept bettas alot! Would I be able to breed bettas
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding bettas, from what I've heard, can be very difficult. I wouldn't recommend it with your setup. You can likely breed guppies, small killifish, endlers, snails, or neocaridina shrimp.

Tags
beginner, breed, fish, gallon, ich, ten, ten gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com