wife got some gups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wife got 4 prego gups and two males to "brighten" up the tank, some reason i was happy for this( mind you I got two angels so you know what I was thinking). I need to get some nets till my new 10g is cycled and has some moss in it, how many do I need? 4?

Whats better the containers or the nets?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

If you have a 10 set up already with no fish in it then 4 prego gupies aren't going to bring the ammonia/nitrites up to any lethal level. I use 10 gallon tanks with no gravel or anything else in my fish room to breed fish in and to birth livebearers with no cycling period. If you do water changes and feed sparingly until the babies are born then there will be no issues in the 10 gallon you have. Once the fry are born in there take the females out, and feed the babies daily and change out a bit of the water every day or so and within several weeks you should be fine.

i think its better not to even use the nets. its stressful. putting them in their own tank is best.

first batch is food, they wernt bred in my tank dont know who the baby daddies are or quality, angels will enjoy this batch, and as far as fry goes, is there ANY way to tell male from female and which ones are the healthiest? Id like to keep atleast one out of each batch possibly 2 and feed the rest to the bigger fish.

I am going to make the 10g into a planted tank, heavy in bottom grass and mosses some short plants all low light w/ co2 unless this isnt wise for a fry tank?

Im just upset because I had my heart set on a pair of GBR's from a breeder and she went and got gups. I like gups they are very colorful but Rams look so much better.

not at first. at least from what i know. did you get them all from the same place? the first 2-3 broods you wont know whos the daddy since they can store sperm.

if you want rams just get another tank lol

well I think once I can talk my ever so sweet loving beautiful wife into another tank then sure, I mean I do have a 13' wide x 6' tall wall that isnt being used for anything, and for some reason I let her talk me into putting a wall to wall storage bench there thats capable of holding a rather large custom acrylic, but again the feat of talking her into it.

I would like to get another tank do they make a 40H anymore?

Most strains of guppies can be sexed at 10-14 days if they have been fed well. Separate males and females and look for the males that color up first and keep those. Look for females that are large and preferably have color in their tails.

40 gallon breeder tanks are a great size for planted aquascapes... they are deep front to back, you can get good depth with levels of different heights.

I had a few 40B's for my reptiles over 10 years ago, they are great tanks, but I like height, I like having all level fish. Besides I dont think my dressed can hold the weight of a 40B without imploding. I did a full basement renovation changed the entire floor plan and somehow ended up with 10x less wall space, I always have the IN WALL option though.

Had my 90 cichlid tank
( had texas and big SA's in it) when it got decomishioned from being a cichlid tank it went salt and very aggressive salt too IN WALL. man that was fun building that set up.

Back
Top Bottom