Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy Sager

Aquarium Advice Addict
It took a while and settling some issues with the county but FINALLY I have the beginnings of my hatchery to share. :D
Over the course of the next few months, I will document, as best I can, what is involved in putting together a hatchery to make both good fish & money at breeding fish. It won't happen overnight, so don;t think you are going to see the final results quickly but what I do and how I do it is what's key. The ultimate goal is for 14 pairs of Angelfish. For me, that means a minimum of 56 tanks. I say minimum as there may be multiple small tanks instead of a single larger tank. I've left enough floor space open to arrange racks for either large vats or multiple smaller tanks on a drainage system.
Here's the first shots of building from just a patch of grass:

Attachments

• the beginning.jpg
    the beginning.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 480
  • Concrete slab.jpg
    Concrete slab.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 486
  • finished building.jpg
    finished building.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 476
The next stage was insulation and putting up the outer walls for the electric then painting. So far, the insulation has kept the building about 10-15 degrees warmer than the cooler outside air. I still need to better insulate the doors and re-install the air and heating system back into the wall for a more consistent climate control.

Attachments

• Wall Insulation.jpg
    Wall Insulation.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 438
  • Roof insulation.jpg
    Roof insulation.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 436
  • Painted wall1.jpg
    Painted wall1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 436
  • painted wall 2.jpg
    painted wall 2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 454
Gratz Andy, looking forward to hearing your secret.

Would the same methods apply to all most fish or is this something unique for angel breeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would the same methods apply to all most fish or is this something unique for angel breeding?

What I am setting up is more towards Angel breeding. Not all fish breed at an Angel's pace or the fry feed on the same type foods. So, depending on what you breed really should shape the way the hatchery is set up.

Hope this helps (y)

What sort of service are you setting up for electric, and what do you foresee running off of it?

What I am setting up is more towards Angel breeding. Not all fish breed at an Angel's pace or the fry feed on the same type foods. So, depending on what you breed really should shape the way the hatchery is set up.

Hope this helps (y)

I see, so why angels? Just because of how fast they can be bred/raised? A popular fish. Do you have have an affinity towards angels?

Nice andy!! Can't wait to see it running!! You anywhere near st. Petersburg?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What sort of service are you setting up for electric, and what do you foresee running off of it?
For permitting reasons, it's tied to my house with it's own 80amp breaker. However, the building is a multi use one so I won't need it all for the fish side. That side will basically be the air pump, lighting and heat/air. Just a few outlets on the wall for plug in water pumps when necessary. Gravity, is going to be my best friend here. ;)

I see, so why angels? Just because of how fast they can be bred/raised? A popular fish. Do you have have an affinity towards angels?

High demand, low availability here in FL and many other parts of the country. When I left the breeding business back in the 1980s, there were many varieties available. Now, most are no longer around so I am working to bring them back. ( At least to my old customers (y) )

The next step is polyurethaning the wooden racks. These 6 racks are just for the breeder rack. This will keep any chemicals in the wood from leeching out and dripping into the tanks below.

Attachments

• painted racks.jpg
    painted racks.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 369
These are the fish I picked up from my buddy. There's 1 pair of Blacks ( not the best pic but they are not photogenic yet. ;) ) 1 pair of half blacks, and the group shot is actually a pair of Blushings with 3 extra males ( 1/2 Black, Black, Zebra Lace) for me to find mates for. Right after taking the pic of the group, I had to separate the pair from the other 3 as the male blushing was starting to bully 2 of the other males. :eek: Even tho they are not ready to breed, there is still the action of supremacy by breeding fish. You may see the frazzled tail of the 1/2 black and Zebra as the result. :facepalm:

Attachments

• Black pair.jpg
    Black pair.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 357
  • half black pair.jpg
    half black pair.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 350
  • Blushing pair and group.jpg
    Blushing pair and group.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 352
I really like those half blacks

Me too! And these are not really great 1/2 blacks. The original ones that are the matriarch and patriarch of these fish were really more 3/4 black and veils. I know because they were MY FISH!!!! ( back in the late 1980s) :brows: What my friend did was cross them with other strains so these are really 1/2 black Zebras unlike mine which were 1/2 black Silvers. Hopefully, I will have ( or get) a silver veil female to mix with the lone male 1/2 black to get back to the veiltails. THOSE are my favorite Angels. (y)(y)(y)

Super excited to read and follow your story. I enjoyed and learned so much from the finally wigglers. Congrats on the hatchery and wishing you much luck, health and wealth with your venture.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. Many people don't realise how prolific angels are and how much in demand they always are. Also, how fast they can be out the door from hatch. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom